FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pdw-700 import to disc problem

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Roberson
Pdw-700 import to disc problem
on Jan 9, 2013 at 8:07:13 pm

A major client of mine now wants all video sent to them on xdcam disc as a fully functioning disc, proxies etc.
I have a 700 firewired to sony viao computer, I have connectivity to the camera, view clips, play and import them. I can even write mxf files to the userdata file on the disc. No matter what I do it will not let me export video to the xdcam clip file and create a disc. I get a non specific error message.
I have tried using vegas9, Clip browser and Content browser and on 2 different computers with freshly formatted discs. All firmware is up to date.
Is there some setting on the camera that I am overlooking?
Its as if there is a record inhibit put on only the clip folder of the xdcam disc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Pdw-700 import to disc problem
on Jan 9, 2013 at 8:25:50 pm

Check the file naming settings in menu O-28 and make sure they are set to FREE. If set to Cxxx.mxf you can only use the canonical file names.

Return to posts index

Dave Roberson
on Jan 9, 2013 at 9:12:47 pm

That was it! you are awesome!!
Is there any downside to leaving it set to free? I am a freelance cameraman with different clients and will shoot 20 discs from the camera for every 1 I import like this. I have always had it set to C*** up till now.
Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 9, 2013 at 9:45:22 pm

great news..

no real downside to leaving it enabled. actually it's better IMO because you know you'll never run into an issue where you copy a bunch of files to a drive and have duplicate Cxxx.mxf filenames..

Return to posts index

Dave Roberson
on Jan 9, 2013 at 9:48:12 pm

Thanks again really helpful

Return to posts index

Dave Roberson
on Jan 9, 2013 at 10:11:25 pm

So content browser and drag and drop works but not vegas9, when I try to export to xdcam disc it says I don't have administrator rights. But there is only one account on the computer and its me the administrator.
Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 9, 2013 at 10:14:51 pm

Use the 'Export to XDCAM disc' button (icon of optical disc with an arrow) in the XDCAM Explorer instead of file-->Export. Or, for File-->Export, make sure you write to /CLIP and not the root of the disc.

Also make sure you are writing the same format as the other clips on the disc (unless Mixed Recording is enabled in the Maintenance menu).

Return to posts index

Dave Roberson
on Jan 9, 2013 at 11:11:12 pm

when I try to use the xdcam explorer to import or export it either says failed or unexpected error. But I can import not using xdcam explorer. I can't write back to the disc in Vegas at all.
What I was hoping to be able to do is take raw gopro/dslr footage without editing or a timeline and render it to 422mxf and write it to the disc all in one event. Is that even going to be possible?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 10, 2013 at 5:44:20 pm

Not 100% sure with that version of Vegas; I'd need to check the MXF export options. I'm pretty sure you need to put the footage into a Timeline first. Have you tried going to a blank, newly-formatted disc? Even on imports it's failing?

Return to posts index

Dave Roberson
on Jan 10, 2013 at 9:10:52 pm

Freshly formatted disc doesn't change anything. I can import outside of xdcam explorer by using regular explorer and looking at computer/xdcam/clip. In xdcam explorer I can't import or export I get "unexpected xdcam error" but the thumbnails are there to see. I haven't been able to print to the disc in vegas under any circumstance.
Would the current version of vegas allow me to take gopro/dslr and render it mxf and export to a disc in one event?
thanks again

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 10, 2013 at 9:18:21 pm

Check that your FAM driver and camera firmware are up to date. Otherwise I am not sure why Vegas is not exporting and don't have a v9 system to check on. Try using the V Pro 12 trial (free for 30 days). The current version can render to XDCAM MXF but you still need to first put the clips into a sequence.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]