FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matching PMW 200 and EX3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kara Stephens
Matching PMW 200 and EX3
on Jan 8, 2013 at 7:44:02 pm

I'm on a show filming with two Sony EX3's. We use the Marvel Picture Profiles http://marvelsfilm.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/all-new-sony-ex1-picture-profil...
I've just purchased a PMW 200 to use as an additional camera, but many of the picture profiles are different. For example the Matrix are numbered instead of given names. I've tried to match as best as possible to a color chart, but the 200 has a green/yellow cast that I cannot seem to lose. Does anyone know a good way to match the cameras? It's very frustrating that the 200 has a different picture profile. It seems to me that Sony would want to match these cameras since they're in the same family.

Kara Stephens
Producer/DP

Return to posts index

James McLoughlin
Re: Matching PMW 200 and EX3
on Jan 15, 2013 at 6:15:13 pm

Sony definitely worked very hard to have the cameras match out of the box. They moved to hyper gammas because it's considered superior but that unfortunately creates problems like the one you're experiencing. Unfortunately I don't have a solution to your question but I do have a potential suggestion. Why not shoot everything "flat" and color correct to get your desired effect? Since they're designed to match out of the box like that I would love to hear your feedback on how it worked out, personally.

Return to posts index

Kara Stephens
on Jan 19, 2013 at 11:35:34 pm

If I was just beginning to shoot the show I'm working on, I would shoot everything flat, but we've been filming for months with the Marvel picture profiles, so I'm really hoping to figure out a way to match the 200 to the EX3's. I may start from zero to see if the chips match from there and then try and figure out what the different matrix settings are. I'm surprised that Sony or someone hasn't come up with a good explanation of the settings and how they differ. Especially since these cameras are supposedly made to work together.

Return to posts index

James McLoughlin
on Jan 23, 2013 at 5:11:08 pm

That sounds truly frustrating, in the past I've searched for a way to do a 1:1 conversion for profiles and came up short. Sorry I wasn't more helpful.

I wish Sony would have given some kind of calculator that would give similar results across the board, would at least give us a place to start tweaking. Working primarily in and around the ENG world we just don't have the time to send stuff off to a colorist, really limits the ability of an operation like us to mix and match cameras. My hope is that within the next few months people whom are more skilled at this than I will post a set of profiles that match between these cameras and will also fit our needs. Until then, it's flat for us.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]