FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 playback problems

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rodney Hudson
EX1 playback problems
on Dec 14, 2012 at 12:45:42 am

I sent my EX1 to an authorized service center to have the HD-SDI board repaired. It was tied-up for quite some time and now I have the camera back. I began testing the camera and came across a problem....when I shot a new clip I wanted to play it back. In Media mode the screen would go black with the clip number displayed but nothing would play and the tally light would just blink fast. I tried reformatting the media and still no dice. It would do the same thing in Camera Mode when I would try Rec Review. The only way to stop it is to shut down the camera as it seems to lock-up.

I imported a new clip to see if anything recorded and it definitely recorded properly. It just wouldn't playback in-camera.

I did a search for the particular problem and came-up with this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I got my EX1 back from Sony after firmware 1.11 upgrade, battery drain issue, backplate letters wearing off.

I found that clips recorded on SxS (or MxR) don not play when YPbPr/SDI Out Select - SD or HD. I'm seeing this in both Camera mode an Media mode.

Steps to reproduce:
Camera mode
Menu/Video Set YPbPr/SDI Out Select to either SD or HD
Record Clip any HQ any duration
ClipReview - results in media error

More details:

Turn YPbPr/SDI Out Select - OFF
Playback WORKS. Both SxS and MxR last clip review WORKS. Media Mode Playback WORKS.

Turn YPbPr/SDI Out Select - SD or HD
Playback does NOT WORK. Both SxS and MxR last clip review results in Media Error. This has no impact on going right back into record or anything else
Media mode playback does NOT WORK. Black screen when attempting playback. Cards is briefly accessed (light goes Red the goes Green and stays Green) and tally light flashes. Camera locks up and must be shut off.

I've done a Reset All. I've removed and reinserted lithium backup battery. No impact on issue.

My guess is that there is either an issue with Sony's install of the new firmware or they screwed up the hardware.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I switched the SDI output to "disable" and now the clips play properly in-camera. They just will not play when the camera is set to SDI-Output "enable".

The place that serviced the camera should not have done anything with firmware. They just repaired the SDI board. I am on the latest firmware V1.26.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Five Spots Down Productions

Return to posts index

Rodney Hudson
Re: EX1 playback problems
on Jan 29, 2013 at 9:22:32 pm

Ok.

I sent the camera back to the repair facility. They informed me that when the camera had the firmware updated (just prior to my buying the camera) the previous repair facility jumped ahead 3 versions of firmware to put it at the current V1.26. They said that when updating firmware you must update each version in sequence to avoid functioning problems. They went back and re-installed the proper sequence of firmware updates and I will have the camera back tomorrow and will test.

FYI, just so you don't have to experience what I did make SURE that if you have anyone do an update or if you try yourself that you do it in proper sequence.

Return to posts index

David Gaona
on Jan 28, 2016 at 9:38:44 am

Rodney,
I know this post was posted a few years back. I am having the same problems with the EX1. I wanted to know where you sent to get the hd sdi board repaired and how much was it?
If you can provide that I would greatly appreciate it.
Ta\hanks

Return to posts index

Rodney Hudson
on Jan 28, 2016 at 5:35:39 pm

I sent it to TEK Media Group in Burbank, CA.

HOWEVER, I would avoid going through them at all costs. My experience with them was terrible. I had to send my camera back to them THREE times to try to get the camera working correctly, one of which resulted in supposed "shipping damage" even though the shipping box was intact and the camera was thoroughly packed. It looked to me like damage that happened at their facility and then they tried to blame it in shipping damage.

After these three times and paying $1,200 for SDI board repair, two botched firmware upgrades, and shipping charges I had a camera that STILL did not work properly. They wanted me to send it to them again to rectify but after three botched repairs and a damaged camera I refused to risk another trip there so I finally sold my camera at a loss to someone who was willing to buy it knowing that the SDI board was not functioning.

I would recommend finding ANY repair poace OTHER than TEK Media Group. I would try somewhere on the East coast.

I wish that I could make a better recommendation but I at least wanted to warn you where NOT to go.

Return to posts index

David Gaona
on Jan 29, 2016 at 3:16:48 am

Thanks! I will search other repair houses.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]