FORUMS: list search recent posts

shooting out of EX1s for many clips and many editors

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
shooting out of EX1s for many clips and many editors
on Nov 17, 2012 at 5:36:38 pm

I'm bidding on a project that will be shot green screen. There will end up being 2,000 1 minute clips edited. They would come in groups of 500 minute increments, with shooting happening every 2 weeks.

My plan is to have 5 editors editing these clips, so media management and delivery to each editor is crucial. If we record on SXS cards, and have a DIT organize the files, it would be a long tedious job. I'm wondering what you guys think would be the best strategy. Should I buy or rent a nano flash? Should I consider the kiPro mini? Or is there a way we can record right to hard drives for fast delivery to the editors?

How would you approach this massive job?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
Re: shooting out of EX1s for many clips and many editors
on Nov 17, 2012 at 6:34:56 pm

You could record to a Nano or ATMOS Samurai and then copy that to multiple hard drives. However, you'll still need someone to go through all of that footage and log the timecode for each minute clip with a description of each to give to the editors, much like logging a tape. That's going to take as long or longer than relabeling each clip on a SxS card. Given the amount of work you describe, it's going to take a while to organize it all regardless of which approach you take to capture.

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Nov 17, 2012 at 6:43:26 pm

I had a shoot about a year ago in which we shot an instructional video for a pizza chain. Two 16 hour days. We shot on P2 with two 64GB cards. I had a DIT on-site with AVID. When each card was full, we passed it off to the DIT relabeled each clip and consolidated them into AVID. At the end of the day, he copied the relabeled/consolidated AVID files to a hard drive. After day two, all of the labeled clips were on a hard drive and sent with the producer back to New York where they could hand the hard drive to their editors who then could immediately begin editing in their AVID's with no transcoding or logging needed. Same workflow works with FCP too. DIT on scene of the shoot really had to be on his game and work fast but, at the end of the day, it worked out perfectly.

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Nov 17, 2012 at 6:54:20 pm

I'm not familiar with the nano or samuri, but using a KiPro w/SDI you'll get a better key fron the 4:2:2 image, but the files will be much larger than the MP4s on the SxS (26 min per 32g SD card). Connecting the KiPro to a laptop you could easily give names to each file on the fly. There may be a way to have a script written to name the file on the KiPro and then insert the name in a spreadsheet to along with TC data. You'll go thru many SD cards till you can offload them.

I'd probably do this: I've successfully gone SDI from my EX1 to the Kona LHe board. This way you have unlimited record time and record straight to whatever format without conversions. You can name the QT files, logging and be copying them to the 5 drives almost instantly between shots.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]