FORUMS: list search recent posts

.MP4s from XDCAM can open in VLC but can't import into FCPX

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thor Bank
.MP4s from XDCAM can open in VLC but can't import into FCPX
on Nov 13, 2012 at 10:42:26 am

Hi there.

I have a clip recorded on a EX1 and ejected prematurely (I guess) so it can't be imported into FCPX. The clip has been split into 5 .MP4 files and the 5th is 0 byte. The first 4 is however playing fine in VLC, so all my footage is there, it's just the ending that is messed up. The 4 MP4s can as I said easily play in VLC but I cannot find out how to get them into FCPX - they won't import. I've tried converting them using Handbrake and MPEG Streamclip without any luck

I don't have access to an EX1 anymore, so I can't repair the clip in camera.

I hope some you experienced XDCAM user can help!

Best,

Thor
Denmark

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: .MP4s from XDCAM can open in VLC but can't import into FCPX
on Nov 13, 2012 at 4:44:59 pm

Do you know for sure that the card was ejected too soon? The 0 bytes file does not bode well. For the other 4, try XDCAM Browser. It can also rewrap for FCPX. If the clips don't show up when you point to the volume/folder in the Explorer Window, try manually importing the 4 good .mp4s. This will create a new BPAV folder (though you may lose the file spanning information). http://www.sony.com/xdcam-downloads

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Nov 13, 2012 at 6:19:19 pm

If Ian's advice doesn't work, and MPEG Streamclip won't work, you'll need to get your hands on an EX1 or EX3 to try a clip repair.

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Nov 13, 2012 at 6:21:16 pm

There's really no reason why you shouldn't be able to open and convert the four good clips in Streamclip. Another possibility is to upload each of the four clips to YouTube and see it it converts it. Just keep in mind the YouTube clips will be highly compressed.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 13, 2012 at 6:23:34 pm

JFYI there really is no 'Clip repair' option per se. What happens is that if you put the card back into the camcorder that made the recording it may attempt to close/heal the damaged file and update the database file automatically. Failing this you can try the Clip-->UPDATE option in the OTHERS menu.

Return to posts index

Thor Bank
on Nov 14, 2012 at 9:11:23 am

The fix for me was After Effects - nothing else worked....

But thx for the help anyway!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]