FORUMS: list search recent posts

faulty lcd screen on sonyEx3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Hoey
faulty lcd screen on sonyEx3
on Nov 8, 2012 at 11:18:22 am

my sony ex3 camera started to flicker on and off on the lcd screen, i brought it to a technician who told me that it was 'nt the lcd screen but needed an update which he tried and couldn't do so now he is telling me that i need a new mother board, which is a lot of money. anyone got any ideas please

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: faulty lcd screen on sonyEx3
on Nov 8, 2012 at 3:18:32 pm

Send to Sony.
It may have just been a bad ribbon cable.
In fact if they botched the upgrade it could very well be an expensive repair now and they apparently aren't taking responsibility that it may have been their fault.
I wouldn't use a non Sony service center unless you got a lot of solid recommendations from forums like this.

Return to posts index

Bill Griffin
on Nov 8, 2012 at 4:00:31 pm

Does it do that went you move the viewfinder up and down?

My EX-3 did that so I took it to a local TV engineer( who use to work for Sony here in Dallas)....and all it was that the ribbon cable connector was loose from the LCD connector...all he did was to make sure it was seated right as it came loose....and now it works fine. I was about to ship it off to Sony in L.A. which would have cost me a bundle...but all I am out is a $25.00 lunch, that I brought him for helping me..as that's what he wanted for payment.

Bill Griffin
HD Cameraman
972-475-6870
http://www.dallascamguy.com
Dallas, Texas USA

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Nov 8, 2012 at 5:57:21 pm

You took it to this technician with an LCD problem and now the whole "motherboard" is shot? Sorry, that just reads fishy to me.

I've replaced the LCD screen on EX cameras and even the little viewfinder on the back of an EX1, and it's straightforward if you're even slightly technically proficient. What you described doesn't sound right, though.

He says he tried an update but "couldn't do" it? My guess he bricked your camera and it's his fault. He says he "couldn't do" the firmware update, which means he tried and failed. That's not a good sign. The need for a new "motherboard" can be a symptom of a botched upgrade.

I have read of people ruining their EX cameras trying to use the USB port and not the cleverly-concealed maintenance port. Otherwise interrupting a firmware update process on these cameras can be fatal as well. Unless it's miraculous timing, it sounds like this technician ruined your camera trying to do the update.

Other than the original LCD problem, you shouldn't have to pay for this repair.

Cf

Return to posts index

Joe Hoey
on Nov 8, 2012 at 8:17:05 pm

Thank you very much for your help on this, I was just wondering where this cleverly-concealed maintenance port is on the camera. So that i can ask the technician about it tomorrow.

He also said that because the original upgrade of firm ware did'nt work that he would have to spend a few hours taking the camera apart to get to an area where he can do a different type of upgrade, do you know anything about this. thanks for your time.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Dec 4, 2012 at 9:00:46 pm

Just checking back on this thread - I'm sorry I didn't see it in time to tell you where the port is. How did it turn out?

Cf

Return to posts index

Joe Hoey
on Dec 6, 2012 at 9:58:49 am

Hi,

It is still in being fixed, it turns out its not a screen problem, the technician said that there was a burnt ribbon and 2 transistors gone, which took 10 days to get from Japan and know it turns out that the transistors are faulty so i am waitint on knew ones so my camera has been out of service for 7 weeks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]