FORUMS: list search recent posts

restoring memory to SD cards

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scotty Doesn'tKnow
restoring memory to SD cards
on Oct 30, 2012 at 10:17:33 pm

Hi,

After a Log and Transfer, and storing the files to a back-up hard-drive, I deleted the footage thinking that it would give me full memory life back (I'm shooting 1080/30p, FH on an HDR-AX2000 w/ 16 GB cards). The initial life is about 2 hours, but after the offload less than an hour is restored to the card.

What am I doing wrong here? How can I get those full 2 hours back?

Thank you!!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: restoring memory to SD cards
on Oct 30, 2012 at 10:39:47 pm

Two hours on a 16GB card. Argh, it sounds like you were recording at a very low data rate.
Might you have changed the camera to record at a higher data rate (which I'd recommend).

Format the card in the camera just in case.

Return to posts index

Scotty Doesn'tKnow
on Oct 31, 2012 at 12:32:18 am

Hmmm, mind walking through the proper steps for setting this up correctly? What setting would yield the best results, and how much time should be allotted for each card?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 5, 2012 at 3:40:31 pm

There's no special setting to determine card capacity or anything else when you format. Go to (on most cameras) Menu-->Others-->Media Format. Do not format on your computer or manually drag files to the Trash. Note that depending on firmware versions the capacity of the formatted card may vary but not by much.

After you format set the record format of the camera, also in the OTHERS menu. The 1080 SP formats have the lowest data rate and will give you the longest HD record times but the HQ formats yield better quality. If you really are losing an hour of card capacity the SD card may be bad.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]