COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jw van der Vlies
canon h9ax3.8 on an ex3
on Oct 6, 2012 at 11:00:42 am

Hi everybody,

canon lens
h9ax3.8
Will this lens work on an ex3. (with the right adapter).

Or is it gonna be a problem? Maybe it has a panasonic mount or will it not work because of 16:9 aspect ratio?

Any help is appreciated!

Thnx!

Return to posts index

Chris Young
Re: canon h9ax3.8 on an ex3
on Oct 7, 2012 at 11:22:19 am

JW ~

The only versions of theses lenses I have seen have had standard 1/2" B4 type Sony mounts. I have seen them used on Sony DSR-300, 370, 390 series cameras. These lenses had a standard 12pin connector cable.

By rights these lenses should fit an EX with the supplied 1/2" to EX adapter but then the issue of powering the lenses arises. The only EX adapter I know of that has a 12 pin connecter to power a lens and give the operator full servo control is the Fujinon ACM-21 but this is a 2/3" inch to EX adapter and far from cheap.

To the best of my knowledge there was never a dual hot-shoe version of these lenses. These Canons would now date back to the early - mid nineties. They were classed as a broadcast grade lens back then. Very nice pictures. I think if you speak to Canon today you will find that they will still service them but that there is no longer any parts support should any specific to this model parts be needed.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Return to posts index

Jw van der Vlies
on Oct 7, 2012 at 12:58:25 pm

Chris,

Thnx for your reply. (too bad you don't get an email when someone replies, is that normal? That would be good and social).

Regarding your reply, i've seen this lens on a panasonic ajd 400. I heard that sony and panasonic had/have different mounts for 1/2 inch lenses..maybe not.

There is a way to power the lenses with a cable from d tap to the 12 pin. Also not cheap, but under 100 dollars.

You're right, fujinon adapter is far from cheap :-)

Return to posts index

Chris Young
on Oct 7, 2012 at 1:32:12 pm

JW ~

Yes be careful of that because the Sony and Panasonic 1/2" mounts are TOTALLY different! Look similar until you get them side by side. I have heard about and seen these D tap to 12 pin power cables on various sites but have no idea as to how sucessfully they work. From what I understand is that they give you servo power for the zoom but all your iris functions are manual and no return button fuction. No big loss there as manual is the way most of us would work with the iris anyway. Post back if you try this route as I think a few of us might be interested as to how this would work.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Return to posts index

Jw van der Vlies
on Oct 7, 2012 at 1:56:08 pm

Chris,

Yes this is correct, it's only the zoom it powers. I don't own an ex3 (yet). I have an ex1r, but i want to buy a cam which has a decent wide angle or possibility to put this lens on.

Jw.

Return to posts index

Chris Young
on Oct 8, 2012 at 2:00:22 am

JW ~

Just some thoughts. This lens if it is a Sony mount version would fit on a PMW-320. A camera I much prefer to the EX3. If you can go the price difference that would be my pick in this range of ½” cameras. Basically the same chips and 35-mbit codec as the EX3 but two more audio tracks, SD capability as well as HD plus a host of other features. It also has the more familiar PDW type of scene file menu set-up as opposed to the more basic 'Picture Profile' approach of the EX series.

The 320 is much more like a PDW series cameras in many ways but file based not disc based but with the advantage of being much lighter. Being a shoulder mount camera I find it much easier to use for run-n-gun type work. That Canon is a pretty heavy little lens and it would make an EX3 very nose heavy which is another thing to consider for hand-held work. The 320 also uses 'V' mount batteries which are pretty standard items. A decent V mount battery on a 320 would balance that lens up pretty well.

Even though that Canon is an SD lens, near top of the Canon range in its time, It should give you pretty decent results. Either way both cameras can put out beautiful pictures if set up correctly.

BH link to 320
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/718797-REG/Sony_PMW_320K_PMW_320K_XDC...

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Return to posts index

Jw van der Vlies
on Oct 10, 2012 at 10:21:11 pm

You're right. I would really like the 320, I need the body and further I have everything, but of course it's a money thing.

Return to posts index

Tiernan O'Rourke
on May 19, 2015 at 5:34:10 pm

Sorry to ask an old thread but does anyone know if a CANON YH12x4.8 KRS will fit a sony pdw f330? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jw van der Vlies
on May 19, 2015 at 9:15:23 pm

It's an 1/2 lens and the body is also 1/2 inch. That doesn't mean it fits. It depends on the lens mount, if it's a standard mount or a sony mount. I don't know how you can see the difference. If the lens doens't have a cable, it probably is a sony mount. If it has a cable it can be both. (notice the word 'probably', i am not sure).
The lens number somehow can give you the answer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]