FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 broadcast suitability

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve laramy
EX3 broadcast suitability
on Oct 2, 2012 at 12:06:48 pm

Hi all, new entrant to the forum. Looks like a good place full of knowledgable folks and I apologise for jumping in with a question or two. Hopefully I can reciprocate at some point in the future.

Ok, there's been a few posting on here regarding this but mostly old and dont cover a few things I'd like to know.

The EX3 is 35mbps 4:2:0 but has 1/2" sensors, basically its EBU Tier 2J (short form journalism). The last bit satisfies EBU Tier 2L but the codec doesn't, so I'd imagine that most broadcasters would reject the in-camera footage for long form production. However, if you strap an Atomos Samurai to the HD-SDI out, you get 10bit 4:2:2 at >100mpbs...way into Tier 2L.

So, questions:
firstly, is there a discernible difference in the EX3 HD-SDI output compared to the in-camera 35mbps, if so what improvements?

Secondly, do broadcasters care about the make/model of camera or just sensor size/capture codec when submitting?

I'm sort of undecided as to whether to go the EX3+Samurai route or wait for the inevitable EX3 update bearing in mind the recent EX1 replacement (PMW-200), but want a reference point to work from.

Any advice gratefully received especially from anyone who has had specific documentary submission experience.

ta loads

PS. the EBU specs I refer to are here - https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/r/r118.pdf

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: EX3 broadcast suitability
on Oct 2, 2012 at 3:44:54 pm

[steve laramy] "So, questions:
firstly, is there a discernible difference in the EX3 HD-SDI output compared to the in-camera 35mbps, if so what improvements?"

Yes. When you record the 35Mbps MPG-2, many times (very noticeable when panning) the codec produce a certain blurring to be able to cop with so much movement. That's due to the LGOP nature of the codec and the relatively low data-rate. Ths do not happens if you are using an Intraframe codec like Prores.

[steve laramy] "Secondly, do broadcasters care about the make/model of camera or just sensor size/capture codec when submitting?"
The BBC accepts as broadcast the MPEG-2 50Mbps 422 from SONY cameras or recorded with the NANO-Flash on the EX-1/3. Shouldn't be no problem with Prores.

[steve laramy] "I'm sort of undecided as to whether to go the EX3+Samurai route or wait for the inevitable EX3 update bearing in mind the recent EX1 replacement (PMW-200), but want a reference point to work from."
Seems that the only thing the PMW-200 adds is the 50mb-422 codec.
IMO the EX-3 with a Ninja or a NANO will always be a better option.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 2, 2012 at 3:52:16 pm

I totally AGREE with Rafael

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

steve laramy
on Oct 3, 2012 at 10:37:50 am

Rafael, Michael, thanks very much for the information, that's just what I was hoping.

regards

Steve L

Return to posts index

Paul Anderegg
on Mar 21, 2013 at 9:11:39 am

I recently did some work with a company that added a PMW200 to it's EX3 fleet. They loved the camera, but said there is a "noticeable" difference in quality between the stock EX3 and the 200 lenses.....are codecs really that big a factor in "broadcast quality" in your areas? I remember when chip size and "broadcast" lenses mattered....

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]