FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 Firmware Install from SxS Card

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Johnson
EX3 Firmware Install from SxS Card
on Sep 29, 2012 at 4:15:07 am

Hello,

I've downloaded the EX3 Firmware from Sony, and had it explained to me that I need to upgrade step by step to avoid problems.

My camera is running V1.05_0094, meaning that my steps will be:

I'm not sure why they skip some numbers, but I'll get over that!

When I spoke with tech support, they indicated that I'd be able to do this from the SxS card, yet the instructions with the downloads make no reference to this.

I've googled this to death hoping to not have to do my own post on a forum like this, but to no avail.

Can anyone help me out with an answer on how to do this from a memory card??

Thanks!

Tim

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: EX3 Firmware Install from SxS Card
on Sep 29, 2012 at 2:01:28 pm

I can't see how you can possibly do this unless they mean that you have to download the firmware on to an S X S card which I've not heard before. PP's from a card yes but firmware?

Are you anywhere near a Sony supplier who has there own engineers? I always get my firmware updates done free here in the UK by my supplier. Maybe you will get slightly more informed answers here in due course.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Sep 29, 2012 at 3:21:41 pm

Sony didn't start out with allowing firmware updates by end users. The first update for the EX cameras was because they started selling the EX cameras before they were ready to work with their optional 60 gig hard drive system they were offering. It was this first upgrade that opened the door to the SD cards with adapters. The first firmware upgrade was the hardest it terms of finding a reliable Windows computer to install it to a second (secret) USB port under the camera (EX3) with 3 different steps that took about 45 minutes or so and during the middle of this time the camera seems to be dead. Sony launched this firmware on one of their sites by mistake and a few people shared it, and I made it work. Now Sony allows the end user to upgrade firmware by loading it on an SxS card from your computer then perform the upgrade with the card in the camera.

I have upgraded my F3 this way.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 1, 2012 at 1:29:09 pm

EX1 and EX3 cannot be upgraded from the card. See the instructions with the firmware; it needs to be installed from a PC via a USB connection.

The newer devices which were designed to be user-upgradeable can be versioned-up from the card. These include the 1R, 320/350, 500, 100, 160 and 200..

Return to posts index

Pushpanatha de Silva
on Dec 31, 2012 at 10:25:08 am

Hi Ian

I am calling from Australia and would like to know which web site I have to access to download the new f/ware for my EX1 if possible with instructions. Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 29, 2012 at 3:51:00 pm

I'm not sure if the EX3 can be updated by SxS. I don't think so. Ian might want jump in on this.
The EX1 can not.
The EX1r can.

Return to posts index

Dave Morrison
on Sep 30, 2012 at 5:04:03 pm

Here's a great itemized list of the firmware changes from our own Ian Cook:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/878810#878811

Return to posts index

Tim Johnson
on Oct 1, 2012 at 2:22:25 pm

Question Answered:

You can't upgrade with the SxS card on the EX3. I was mistakenly told that you can, but just found out this morning that this is true of the EX1, but not the EX3.

I upgraded from 1.05 directly to 1.20 with no problems using the hidden usb port.

All is well!

Thanks!

Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]