FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony EX1R file workflow / 1080i60 / picture quality

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Bernard
Sony EX1R file workflow / 1080i60 / picture quality
on Sep 20, 2012 at 5:55:02 pm

Hello XDCAM forum.

I'm new to the Sony EX1R, and I have a question about the BPAV or .mp4 workflow in and out of FCP7, and retaining optimum picture quality. I shot a conference with it at 1080 60i (my mistake in retrospect - client had mentioned they wanted to air it on Latin American TV, so I thought, "Gee I'll shoot in 60i), but they want these videos for their websites as well. I log and transfered the native XDCAM files to XDCAM EX 1080i60 in fcp, edited a sample timeline, and exported QT ref movies in a variety of intermediate formats (current settings, APR422, etc,) to send to Compressor for final exports in finishing format such as QT .movs in H.264, with varying settings tweaks, but no outstanding differences. The interlacing has been dealt with, but they all look kind of bad. (See frame grabs)

I recall that in de-interlacing, you lose half the vertical lines of resolution, but is there any step I could do differently to improve overall picture quality? The picture seems 'blocky' and pixelated. Or is this decent quality, considering the de-interlacing, 1080i, and me being at the long end of the 14x zoom on the EX1R's lens?

My data rate on final export is around 6000mb/s, but being that it's a conference without much movement, I would assume that isn't contributing to a degraded picture quality (if there is any).

Any advice on EX1R file workflow, or dealing with this 1080i footage, would be appreciated!

Thanks for your patience with this circa-2007 type of post, but I couldn't find any specific references on the forum at large.

Matthew

Return to posts index

Jw van der Vlies
Re: Sony EX1R file workflow / 1080i60 / picture quality
on Oct 6, 2012 at 12:57:08 pm

i use a de interlace filter of CGM. I believe it doesn't remove lines but it blurs the 'stripes' you see. It takes a lot of render time.

i believe this is the link
http://www.cgm-online.com/eiperle/cgm_e.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]