FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony F3, Lion, FCP7

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Goldsmith
Sony F3, Lion, FCP7
on Sep 19, 2012 at 5:07:31 pm

I'm trying to import Sony F3 footage (which was transferred from the camera card to my hard drive on the shoot) into my FCP7 on Lion.. The XDCAM_EX log and transfer plug-in that I downloaded from Sony and installed, doesn't seem to work-- I get error messages, like "contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure" I've kept the structure of BPAV folders and such, so I don't think that's the problem. It doesn't seem to recognize the camera file, for one thing.

I've gotten a suggestion of using XDCAM Browser 2.0 for Mac, but thought I'd check if anyone has more recent knowledge of probs w this combo: Sony F3, Lion and FCP7.0.3 before I kept chasing my tail.

Any experience with this problem? Any ideas on how to lick it? Thx in advance.

Also if upgrading to Mt. Lion is advisable or might just make things worse on FCP7, all things considered.

Rick

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Sony F3, Lion, FCP7
on Sep 19, 2012 at 5:28:00 pm

Try XDCAM Browser 2.1 or Transfer 2.13, both available at sony.com/xdcam-downloads. Neither are qualified for Mountain Lion but will probably get the job done. A Mountain Lion-qualified version of Browser is on the way and due out this month or next.

The Log and Transfer add-on will only work if the BPAV and all subdirectories and files are perfectly intact. We've found L+T to be somewhat erratic with any format and we often see the 'Directory Structure' warning with archives we know are intact (and can subsequently bring into Avid via AMA, Premiere via the Media Browser, or into Browser/Transfer). If possible please try one of the above plugins. Note that with Browser 2.1 you need to first set the FCP-->Version preference to 7..

Return to posts index

Rick Goldsmith
on Sep 19, 2012 at 8:25:26 pm

Thanks. I had tried Browser 2.1 but neglected to set to FCP7. Now it works. Questions, though, as I am new to this:
- When I set up clip-Import to FCP, there is a title window that says "project" with an arrow, but I cannot seem to enter my project name there. When I perform the clip transfer, the new mov file appears in my destination folder, but not in my project, so I have to drag it into my FCP browser. How do I arrange so as to have it appear in my designated folder, as the FCP "log and transfer" operation does?
- When and how can I rename the clips, e.g. JennyIntvw1? Currently they only have the number of the original camera card and I don't see where that can be changed.
- I changed bit rate from default 18 Mbps to 35Mbps, per my original. Is this needed, or will it automatically transfer at the original bit rate?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 19, 2012 at 9:00:42 pm

Re Importing files into current project and Import Destination folder:

As you have probably seen, you set the Import folder within Browser's preferences. You can point this to any location on the system.

If the file did not appear in your FCP Project you may have opened Browser in 'standalone' mode. Open by selecting File menu-->Import-->Sony XDCAM Browser within FCP. This launches the Browser application in plugin mode. If you launch Browser by itself, in Standalone mode, the clips will import but they won't be mapped to a project.

The PROJECT field is sync'd to FCP, so if you have, for example, three different FCP projects open you can select the one to which the clips will be sent. You can't type in this field; it's just a drop-down menu, and if you launch Browser in Standalone mode this is greyed out.

Re File names:

In the Import dialog box that pops up after you select 'Import Into FCP' you'll see a list of the files queued for import. The 'Registration File' column refers to the name of the .mov file that will be created. By default, Browser uses an auto-naming scheme that you can configure in the Preferences. You can also click on any file in the 'registration File' column and change the name there.

The auto naming scheme is configured under Preferences-->FCP Tab. You'll see boxes you can check to include the media name (SxS Card, XDCAM disc etc), the in/out time code etc in the file name of the QT file. (Again- even if you set this up you can still change the name of the QT file as you import by clicking on it in the Registration File column.)

Re Bit rate:

You can't change the data rate of the recorded clip during import. What you shot in is what will be ingested.

Return to posts index

Rick Goldsmith
on Sep 19, 2012 at 9:57:09 pm

Ian-

Within FCP7, the pulldown menu File->Import does not give me the choice of "Sony XDCam Browser." I've been dealing with this issue all week, and could it be the "log and transfer plug-in version for FCP7" (downloaded Monday) is blocking Browser 2.0 from being seen by FCP7? Or do I mis-understand and you are talking about the file dropdown menu in Browser? Either way, I don't see how FCP7 and Browser are linked, nor how to do so, i.e. how to not be in 'standalone' mode.

RIck

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 20, 2012 at 4:17:09 pm

This is how it's always worked; before Browser, XDCAM Transfer worked the same way. Make sure FCP lives in the root of /Applications on your hard drive. If it does, try reinstalling Browser. L+T should not affect it. We have them all running on multiple Macs here and there has never been any kind of interoperability problem. Also, please use v 2.1. Lots of fixes and improvements. http://www.sony.com/xdcam-downloads . Let me know..

Return to posts index

Rick Goldsmith
on Sep 20, 2012 at 4:31:29 pm

Ian--

Not happening for me. It's a minor inconvenience, but would like to have that nice import function working.

- FCP 7.0.3 is indeed in the /applications folder
- When I pull down (in FCP) file->import, my choices are: files, folder, Batch list, cinema tools telecine log, EDL, XML. I do not see "Sony XDCAM Browser" there.

Rick

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 20, 2012 at 4:35:42 pm

Can you remove Browser from /Applications and install v 2.1? Before doing this you can also try trashing the FCP and Browser Preferences files. (User/Library*/Preferences).

*Note that in Lion the user Library is hidden. Press Option + Go menu to reveal..

Return to posts index

Rick Goldsmith
on Sep 20, 2012 at 10:45:02 pm

Ian--

Last try:

I trashed the FCP pref files (3). I trashed the XDCam pref file (I think-- it said com.Sony.XDCAMBrowswer.plist). I ejected the plug and play download that was no longer needed. I re-opened FCP and XDCam Browser.

I didn't know what you meant by removing Browser from Applications and installing v 2.1. I've only had version 2.1, no other version.

No change.

Perhaps I did things in the incorrect order. I'm not super-tech savvy. If you can step me through the process, one by one, or even call me, 510-849-3225, perhaps I can lick this. Otherwise I'll just move on without that feature.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Rick Goldsmith
on Sep 20, 2012 at 11:43:20 pm

Ian--

One more note: I opened "about Browser" and it said "version 2.1 (2.1.0.248), Retail option, trial will expire in 17 days." I thought this was a free download from Sony and could not find on Sony's website anything to the contrary. Is this the problem? And how do I get a permanent version?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 20, 2012 at 11:55:58 pm

The 'trial' only refers to features that are part of the 'Advanced Feature Pack.' These features (you'll see the word 'trial' next to certain items in the menus) work for 30 days from activation and after that require a serial #. Most of them are for XDCAM Optical Disc workflows and not EX. The base app with most of the everyday features is free and will never expire.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/xdcamadvpack

Return to posts index

Rick Goldsmith
on Sep 21, 2012 at 1:17:52 am

Ian--

Two things:

1) I am repeating an earlier post to you from late yesterday, as you may have overlooked it. (It may now be moot, see number 2 below):

Ian--

Last try:

I trashed the FCP pref files (3). I trashed the XDCam pref file (I think-- it said com.Sony.XDCAMBrowswer.plist). I ejected the plug and play download that was no longer needed. I re-opened FCP and XDCam Browser.

I didn't know what you meant by removing Browser from Applications and installing v 2.1. I've only had version 2.1, no other version.

No change.

Perhaps I did things in the incorrect order. I'm not super-tech savvy. If you can step me through the process, one by one, or even call me, 510-849-3225, perhaps I can lick this. Otherwise I'll just move on without that feature.

Thanks for your help.

2. Two days ago, without XDCam Browser properly set up (i.e. not on FCP7 but on FCP X), I definitely could not use the log and transfer function of FCP to import the Sony files. Now, I notice that I CAN successfully use the log and transfer function. As with other footage (mxf files), it allows me to change filenames while importing other files (speeding up workflow) and allows me to set logging bin, which I couldn't do, as you know. What changed? Is this due to my merely setting up XDCam Browser correctly? (And remember, the XDCam EX log and transfer plug-in did not work for me.)

Thnx for all your help.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 21, 2012 at 2:38:34 pm

thanks, i did miss that

if i'm following the steps correctly it was more than likely the trashing of the preferences file that fixed/reset L+T. this is a common fix for erratic application behavior on Macs. one thing, though-- are you sure about the .mxf files? the L+T plugin only supports EX .mp4 files...

Return to posts index

Rick Goldsmith
on Sep 21, 2012 at 5:11:35 pm

Ian--

The sony plug-in undoubtedly had nothing to do with the FCP7 log and transfer function for mxf files. I was only making the point that the FCP L&T function already worked with mxf files, but it wasn't until I could get the Sony downloads working with/speaking to FCP7, that the FCP L&T function worked with the Sony camera files too. Make sense?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]