FORUMS: list search recent posts

3 Sony EX3 on Panasonic HMX100

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paul gatineau
3 Sony EX3 on Panasonic HMX100
on Sep 17, 2012 at 9:01:08 am

Hi everyone

I have an upcoming event in november. I will have to connect 3 Sony EX3 on a panasonic HMX100. The output will be connected to a projector. I don't know at this time if the projector will be in HD.

- Question 1: If I'm in HD mode (HD-SDI 16:9), do I have provide a genlock to synchronise the 3 cameras?
- Question 2: if I'm in SD mode (Composite 4:3 / Edge crop), do I have to provide a genlock / blackburst?

The HMX100 can't generate the genlock. So, is it absolutly necessary to have a genlock provider? If yes, which device do you recommend?

Thanks for your help on this. I'm not an expert and we usually work without any GL...

Paul

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
Re: 3 Sony EX3 on Panasonic HMX100
on Sep 18, 2012 at 12:28:00 pm

Your biggest problem is going to be "lip flap" associated with video delays at every point in your processing path. First of all you can use any composite video source as a gunlock source. You can use an old out of date camera or video source. Just route through a distribution amp to each device. This will prevent up to 2 frames of delay just in the synchronizing effort. Secondly you will have inherent delay in the switcher. Don't know the specs for you switcher so I would proceed cautiously.

The biggest source of delay can be your projector. Manufacturers place very slow processors in them for conversion to their native display resolution and scan rate. You will want to send the picture to the projector which matches the display characteristics of that projector. Even then you will likely incur anywhere from 2 to 7 frames of delay.

You can minimize this by locating the imag screen as far from the speaker as possible so that an audience member does not have live and projected images in the same line of sight. The worst scenario is the imag behind the speaker. You will find that 3-5 frames is only noticeable to experts, 6 is visible to everyone if it is pointed out to them, and 7 of more is visible and annoying to everyone. You can adjust the audio in the room to offset some of the effect, however more that 1 frame (33ms) becomes noticeable to the speaker as delay. More that 1 frame typically just does not work. If you have delay speakers because of the room size you can increase the delay on those speakers, because the further back in the room, the more likely a participant can see the screen and the speaker simultaneously.

I would recommend running the cameras in HD and genlocking the cameras and switcher. Most likely your projector will be 1024 x 768 native which is 4:3 aspect ratio. That is most common with image. No matter which size screen you happen to have, just overproject so the screen is full size.

Sorry for the rambling reply, but I have lived this many times. Just ask if you would like any further advice.

My $.02 worth

Jim Brown
M&M ProductionsUSA

Return to posts index

paul gatineau
on Sep 20, 2012 at 8:49:29 am

A big thank you Jim for you detailed answer. I'm totally aware of the lip sync problem and I will follow your instructions.

Thanks!

Paul

Return to posts index

Steve Court
on Oct 16, 2012 at 6:05:52 pm

Hiya, I have just upgraded from a MX70 to a HMX100 and noticed that the SDI inputs seemed to be synchronised OK on the HMX100, whereas on the MX70 you definitely needed to supply a genlock to the cameras. However, it's probably best to lock it all together to eliminate any chance of frame delays.

On these Panny mixers you just take the Advanced reference out from the back of the mixer, and DA it out to the Genlock In on the EX3s. I just used an old Kramer VDA off eBay and it all worked fine.

Cheers,
Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]