FORUMS: list search recent posts

PMW EX3 Focus issue - doesn't match previous forum threads

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fritz Faerber
PMW EX3 Focus issue - doesn't match previous forum threads
on Sep 16, 2012 at 3:13:20 am

Hi,

Thanks in advance for any help. I've been reading threads here and on other video forums. Can't seem to find an answer.

My EX3 failed this week at a shoot. It is on version 1.15 firmware.

I followed usual procedure - set exposure on interview subject, zoom in, focus, pull back out and everything went out of focus. It was indoors, enough light to use ND1, iris nearly full open to achieve shallow depth of field, and shutter set at 1/120.

Focus on manual (ring not engaged to full manual at first) - no matter how much I turned focus ring, I could not achieve focus. Set it on auto, no change. Flipped the focus ring to full manual, tried to adjust focus, no dice.

I turned off the camera and back on, still not working right. Focus only adjusted when fully zoomed in. Final workaround was to go to ND0, shutter on auto and iris closed down to increase depth of field. The final result is barely usable.

Tonight, I followed advice on previous threads on auto back focus adjustment. I find the same problem. But it is different with each ND filter. When I set back focus with ND0, zooming back out doesn't take out of focus. But, switch to ND1 and the camera goes way out of focus when I go wide (I properly set exposure, etc. for the new ND1 setting). The focus ring only seems to work when zoomed in. I then set back focus with ND1 - and ND1 doesn't lose focus when zooming out from telephoto BUT ND0 is horrendous!

I Reset camera setting through menu (haven't removed memory battery though, as I am on road and didn't bring small screwdriver - will do tomorrow).

Also, I have removed the lens, eyed the terminals, no dirt or corrosion or weirdness there. Replaced lens and ensured it locked properly.

Any ideas? I need to do another interview in the next couple days and am a half day drive to the nearest Sony repair center.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: PMW EX3 Focus issue - doesn't match previous forum threads
on Sep 17, 2012 at 6:23:47 pm

Sorry to say but it sounds like the lens has a backfocus problem. Hopefully it just needs to be recalibrated and would be a simple repair. Short answer- get thee to a service center.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Bruce Rawlings
on Sep 23, 2012 at 11:59:34 am

My EX1 has just been fixed after forgetting who it was. Not too expensive but always a constant worry that it may happen at any time. It has suffered from this malady a few times but the camera really does produce fantastic pictures when up to spec.

Return to posts index

Fritz Faerber
on Sep 23, 2012 at 1:48:50 pm

Yep,

Packing up in a Pelican and shipping to Sony. Arrrgh. I don't like being without a camera. I don't find the 7D to be a satisfactory backup for news.

Maybe I can use this as an excuse with the spouse to buy another camera....

Return to posts index

Tony Colapietro
on Nov 8, 2012 at 6:23:23 pm

Hi Fritz,...did they fix the problem and how much was it? I have the exact same issue with back focus adjustment only working for each ND and then needing adjustment when changed to another.

I had rented my camera out and the operator confirmed that he or one of his shooters used the zoom ring when the servo was engaged and I believe this is what caused the internal lens issues. I need to send mine off to repair because I don't think I can fix it through firmware or other self help methods. Sucks but learned my lesson on who I will rent gear out to!! I have insurance but didn't want to claim unless I have to.

Tony

Return to posts index

Geoff McKay
on Jul 11, 2014 at 4:32:13 am

Same exact problem here. I was told I needed a new DPR-289A board. Looking like a 4 grand repair. For all intents and purposes it means the camera is bricked.

Any body find any other solutions?

Return to posts index

Fritz Faerber
on Jul 11, 2014 at 12:56:03 pm

Sadly, I had a similar repair. I forget which circuit boards they replaced. The total cost was a bit more than $3,000.
It's been two years. Occasionally, I have a similar problem. It starts to appear when the camera is hot (after shooting for a while in hot weather). I have had luck by immediately shutting down and letting the camera cool off a bit.
I am hoping my EX3 can hold out a couple more months until I buy a new camera.
BTW, American Express picked up most of the cost of the repair. They double the warranty (up to an extra year). I slid in just under the wire on that.
I wish I had electronics skills to take it apart and figure out why we have this problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]