FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time Lapse Sony EX1R

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Cummins
Time Lapse Sony EX1R
on Aug 15, 2012 at 2:19:06 pm

Hi, wondering if anyone can help me out. Were doing a band shoot next week and im hoping to set up a static EX1R on a tripod and document the making of the video. Its all going to take place in one place over 4 hours. Im just wondering what would be the best time lapse settings for something of this length. Would 1 frame every 2 seconds be suitable?

Any advice of suggestions would be very welcomed.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Time Lapse Sony EX1R
on Aug 15, 2012 at 2:36:27 pm

Dennis,

An informed answer to your question would be to calculate how much action you wish to compress into how long a shot.

For example if you wanted to show the band setting up, which might take one hour in 30 seconds, first you calculate that 30 seconds equal 900 frames (@30P), then divide the one hour ( 60 minutes x 60 seconds = 3600 seconds) by 900 and voila: one frame every four seconds! This rate could also be described as 15 frames per minute.

Different sections of the show might last different lengths and the air time you want might change too, so different settings might be appropriate for different parts of the show.

JS

Return to posts index

Dennis Cummins
on Aug 15, 2012 at 2:39:31 pm

Thanks JS. The camera wont actually be stopped or manned for the four hours of filming. It will be just left recording in timelapse mode. I suppose Im just trying to find out what will look best for the time frame involved.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Aug 15, 2012 at 7:14:43 pm

Why don't use just use 2 32GB SDHC cards, shoot the whole thing and do whatever you want with it in the end?

Return to posts index

Dennis Cummins
on Aug 16, 2012 at 8:28:18 am

Would it not look better to do the timelapse in camera rather than just speeding it up in post after?

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Aug 16, 2012 at 1:33:30 pm

Not sure. I have never done time lapse but I don't think I lose any quality when I speed video up in FCP. But then again I have never done 4 hours.

Return to posts index

David Wheeler
on Aug 17, 2012 at 4:20:06 am

I do a lot of time lapse recording of construction projects with my EX1R and most of the time I shoot 1 frame every 2 seconds as you suggested. If I need the final piece to be a set time duration, I can always adjust the speed in post. Determining a frame rate based upon final duration seems a little backwards, IMHO. You should base your determination on what action you are recording. If the action moves slowly, like a flower opening, a slower frame rate makes sense. If you are recording the movement of people in the process of working, you'll need a faster frame rate. Keep in mind that a frame rate of 1 frame every four seconds will end up missing half of the video content of 1 frame every 2 seconds. Anything slower than 1 frame every 2 seconds for people in action sacrifices too much visual content for my audience.

David Wheeler
EX1R; EX3; FCP 7; 17" MBP, MacPro Quad, Matrox MSO2,CS5
dave@marcombiz.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]