FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD 30P- to SD 60i - to DVD

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Longfield
HD 30P- to SD 60i - to DVD
on Aug 7, 2012 at 6:46:08 pm

I have a client who likes his SD jobs to be delivered on DV tape. So I had been shooting them with the EX1R in 1920x1080 60i and then converting the footage to SD, (interlaced), and outputting to tape, (via FCP).

However I'm thinking it would be better to just shoot in XDCAM EX HD in 30P and give them that file, and have their editor work with that footage and then burn an SD DVD from it after down-converting it. (Figuring that progressive video will look better on a progressive scan flat screen TV set which is where the end user will be viewing the project)

If the client does not want to do the above, what are the draw backs of shooting in 30P HD, and then converting to SD 60i, (in FCP)), and then having the client edit the footage using the SD 60i (DV tape) footage as his source? (My DV deck only records in 60i).

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: HD 30P- to SD 60i - to DVD
on Aug 7, 2012 at 7:01:00 pm

I would record 30p because it will most likely be exported and end up 60i as SD or HD. The big difference in recording 30p is that the entire frame is recorded at the same time. In most cases 30p is played back as 60i, but the 30p look is still visible.

You could always record 30p and use the EX1r as a deck to (output SD) during a capture.
At some point your client will come around to HD media.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Aug 7, 2012 at 7:56:50 pm

Thanks for your response. The client does both HD and SD jobs. When I shoot an HD job for them, I deliver in an HD file, via portable hard drive. But when I shoot an SD job, I still shoot in HD but then deliver the job in SD via DV tape. I had been shooting the SD deliverable job, in 1080 60i, and then converting to SD 480i.

So I was wondering is it better to shoot in 1080 30p XDCAM EX HD, and
just deliver in an HD file and have them convert it.

But if they did not want to do that is it better for me to shoot in HD 1080 30p and then convert the footage to 480 60i on DV tape. In other words will the footage then be more progressive TV friendly being it was originally shot in 30p - Or is there a downside to that approach such as pixellating artifacts...etc?

It seems that you're suggesting that shooting in 30P is the way to go in either scenario.

Thanks again for your input.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Aug 7, 2012 at 8:15:50 pm

"So I was wondering is it better to shoot in 1080 30p XDCAM EX HD, and
just deliver in an HD file and have them convert it.", YES this is IMHO the best workflow for you, however do whatever the client wants to keep the account.

"But if they did not want to do that is it better for me to shoot in HD 1080 30p and then convert the footage to 480 60i on DV tape.", YES again. No down side what so ever.

"It seems that you're suggesting that shooting in 30P is the way to go in either scenario.", YES YES YES

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Aug 7, 2012 at 8:19:29 pm

Thanks Thanks Thanks.
Appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]