FORUMS: list search recent posts

PMW-EX1 Clip Error

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Syed Murs
PMW-EX1 Clip Error
on Aug 5, 2012 at 11:47:11 pm

Hi Guys,
I've got an EX-1 and I recently shot footage with it which the Sony's XDCam Browser is not picking up. However when I play the clips in Windows Media Player or RealPlayer the clips play fine.

The real problem occurs when I import the clips into Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. When I preview the clips in the Ppro monitor it plays as if there's nothing wrong. However when I drop the clips onto the timeline and then I play the clip, the clip appears as if it has been squashed 50% in width. In the effects Panel the clip size seems to be set at 100%. As a consequence I am having to re-size all 200 of my clips individually to 100.1% to get the size right and that takes up unnecessary rendering time.

I suspect it is to do with PMW-EX1 and the way it is writing the clip on to the SDHC via MxR card adapter. But how can I get the clips right? I have used two different SDHC cards for my recording and after uplaoding the clips on to my PC the problems seems to be on both uploads and XDcam Browers isn't recognising the clips.

Please help me out, cheer.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: PMW-EX1 Clip Error
on Aug 6, 2012 at 1:39:25 pm

XDCAM Browser shows no clips at all? What if you do a manual clip import on one of the files? It doesn't sound like it's data- or card-related as it's very unlikely that something like this would manifest as a video resolution issue. A card problem could affect Browser's ability to show the correct directories so try the manual import or File-->Open Media File. Also make sure you are using v 2.1.

It sounds like a codec issue in PPro. It may be using the codec for overcranked XDCAM optical, which has a resolution of 1920 x 540, or there may be another problem with the installed codecs.Is this an XDCAM EX Sequence at the right resolution? What does the clip look like in the Source monitor?

Return to posts index

Syed Murs
on Aug 6, 2012 at 6:14:19 pm

Hi Ian,
Many thanks for the prompt response. First of all I'm a new user and I just realised while reading the thread that I got a lady image as my display image!

Ian you're right. However, I managed to fix the problem few minutes ago. The solution is as follows:

I transferred my entire SDHC card-1 BPAV folder on to my system and I named it BPAV-1. I then transferred the 2nd SDHC card and called that one BPAV-2. This was the reason why XDCam Browser wasn't detecting the clips residing in those folders and the same reason why PPro was showing me squashed images @ 50%

Out of trail and error I decided to change BPAV-1 & -2's name back to 'BPAV' and all the clips were instantly recognised by the Browser and I had no issues with PPro thereafter. :)

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 6, 2012 at 6:37:28 pm

And the storal of the mory is this: NEVER change the name of any BPAV folder to anything else or none of the Sony transfer programs will see it. That's why you have to create uniquely named parent folders with the BPAV folders inside those.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 6, 2012 at 7:02:27 pm

And always have CRC on to be safe.

BTW, maybe I'm missing something but I don't see a function that allows XDCAM BROWSER to create parent folders like Clip Browser did (which would create time stamped folders). Again maybe I'm missing it somewhere but that was an important feature in discouraging manual intervention resulting in issues like this.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Aug 6, 2012 at 7:38:55 pm

it's actually automatic in both applications-- a COPY ALL creates a parent folder named after the date/time (e.g. "20120806152754"); a manual drag and drop only creates a BPAV in the selected location..

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 6, 2012 at 9:12:44 pm

Ian, I seem to be missing that in XDCAM Browser and I'm using Copy All.
Obviously an oversight on my part but can you explain where to enable that in Preferences (or anywhere else)?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Aug 6, 2012 at 9:26:10 pm

Sorry, I said that it was automatic in XDCAM Browser and I was wrong.

The option is 'Specify Folder When "Copy All"' in the EDIT tab of the Preferences/Options and it should be disabled. When enabled, the user can select a folder when initiating the Copy All so no time/date-stamped Parent folder is created. When disabled Browser will create a stamped folder in the Copy All location stored in the Preferences/Options.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 6, 2012 at 9:58:22 pm

[Ian Cook] "The option is 'Specify Folder When "Copy All"' in the EDIT tab of the Preferences/Options and it should be disabled. When enabled, the user can select a folder when initiating the Copy All so no time/date-stamped Parent folder is created."

It wasn't clear to me that disabling it would create the date stamped parent folder.
I didn't see that explained in the Manual (Mac). Thanks for clarifying.

Page 52
When the [Specify the folder when "Copy All"] check box is cleared on the [Edit] tab
1. In the Tree View pane of an [Explorer] window, select the media or folder that contains the clips you want to copy.
2. Do one of the following.
o Click the [Copy All] button.
o Select [Copy All] from the [Edit] menu.
A message appears asking if you want to execute the copy. Check the destination folder. You can change the copy destination folder. See [Edit] tab for more information.
3. Click the [Yes] button to execute the copy, or the [No] button to cancel it.
A dialog illustrating the progress of the copying opens when the copying starts.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Aug 7, 2012 at 1:43:09 pm

The documentation is a little vague; I'll see what I can do about getting that clarified. I had to step through each Copy All (with and without 'Specify...' turned on) to confirm that it worked this way..

Thx

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]