FORUMS: list search recent posts

really dumb shooting mistake... how to match high gain and low gain footage?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
irene litapop
really dumb shooting mistake... how to match high gain and low gain footage?
on Jul 31, 2012 at 8:45:49 pm

I just realized I made a very stupid mistake on a recent two camera shoot. Shoot was with two EX1 cameras, and the goal was - obviously - to have the two cameras match very closely for intercutting. I have never, ever done this before, but somehow I failed to notice that one camera had the high gain switched on for the whole shoot. So now I have really sharp footage from one camera, and grainy footage from the other camera. Is there anything I can do in post to make the difference less glaringly obvious?? I feel like a complete idiot for not noticing until after the shoot....

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: really dumb shooting mistake... how to match high gain and low gain footage?
on Jul 31, 2012 at 10:14:58 pm

If ever you are working with like cameras you realize you can save the setup from one to the other. Camera prep is very important. There are some 3rd party plugins available that might help you. You may want to ask this question over on the NLE forum for your workflow, but here is something to read.
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/magic-bullet-reintroduces-denoiser-to-quick...

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: really dumb shooting mistake... how to match high gain and low gain footage?
on Aug 1, 2012 at 8:27:46 pm

Also keep in mind that it's far easier to make good video look bad than the other way around. It might be better to reach a happy medium by degrading the good footage a bit and improving the high gain footage until there's an acceptable match.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Aug 19, 2012 at 1:47:29 pm

What did you wind up doing? There are some noise reduction plug-ins. Some are free.

Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]