Something big for XDCAM July 26?
on Jul 19, 2012 at 11:13:00 pm

Something big for XDCAM July 26?
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/

Return to posts index

Andrew Stone
Re: Something big for XDCAM July 26?
on Jul 20, 2012 at 5:16:50 am

Sounds like something significant but there are so many things that could drop from successors to the EX line, to a 4K recorder to the FS700, to a professional EVF purpose built for the F3.

Anyone's guess.

-Andrew

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Jul 22, 2012 at 1:20:54 am

Rumors are (via a Sony insider) it's a 3 chip version of the PMW-100 (single chip) but that's just a rumor and that person has been wrong before so we'll have to wait and see.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 22, 2012 at 3:11:33 am

I don't think that Sony would have allocated that much space on their web page just to announced a 3 chip version of their entry level XDCAM camera. "Something Big is Coming" has to mean much more than that.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jul 23, 2012 at 4:29:25 am

I have heard a few rumors about the F3 and they are just rumors. 3 days we will know......

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
XDCAM-PMW200 MPEG422HD
on Jul 26, 2012 at 8:10:46 am

It's called the XDCAM-PMW200 and it looks like a direct replacement for the EX1R. MPEG422HD 50Mbit recording on UDF formatted SxS cards. Still records 35 Mbit XDCAM EX format if you want, but the cards have to be formatted in FAT32.
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/resource.latest.bbsccms-assets-mic...

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: XDCAM-PMW200 MPEG422HD
on Jul 26, 2012 at 1:19:48 pm

Now THAT is what I've been waiting for. Now if I can just get the budget for a couple...

Cf

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
Re: XDCAM-PMW200 MPEG422HD
on Jul 26, 2012 at 3:57:05 pm

I wish they would have dropped the SXS card and gone with cheaper more reliable SDHC cards. My EX-3 is limited by how many SXS cards I can afford.

ronpesteshdvideo.com
Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro
Dell M6600
Adobe CS6 Production Premium

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
The way over due PMW200 MPEG422HD
on Jul 26, 2012 at 4:09:46 pm

Sony could have made the encoder record at even higher bit rate levels, it uses the same Mpeg-2 encoder in everything from consumer handy cams to the most expensive XD Cam units. I'm disappointed this didn't come out much sooner and on units like the F3, FS100 and FS700. I'm sure we'll see a replacement for the EX3 now. I'm a big believer in redundant recording and I like using my Nano Flash as my main recording source and the native files from the camera as my backup.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
Re: The way over due PMW200 MPEG422HD
on Jul 26, 2012 at 6:57:42 pm

First, I can't believe people are already complaining about what this camera doesn't have. Second, no current SDHC card on the market can handle writing at 50Mbs. The top level card can only capture at 45Mbs. Put in a SDHC card in this camera using an SxS adapter and it's going to fail. Sony had no choice. It's either SxS or CompactFlash which is just as expensive. This is clearly the top non-shoulder mount camera available today and some of you need to stop complaining and cut Sony some slack. If you can't afford SxS cards you likely can't afford this camera anyway.

Return to posts index

Bala Chandran
on Jul 26, 2012 at 9:29:59 pm

SDHC cards capture at 90 Mbps now. So Sony could have made use of that. And does it use USB3 or still USB2?

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Jul 27, 2012 at 5:31:18 am

Whats this whole SDHC card thing.. if you are a professional camera person.. its your source of income then you invest in the gear you need for your market.. if you are lower on the ladder you can buy this camera and use SD cards.. yes much cheaper but with a well known higher failure rate.. shit happens.. but more to a SD card in an adaptor .. if the producers or person you are working for is paying you a low amount and you have told them.. well in that case I have to use SD cards and they are not pro level and can fail.. they roll the dice.. if how ever you are being paid a professional rate you would always want to use SXS cards.. for your own reputation and in fairness to the client who is no doubt expecting that you are at the very least recording to the best available media for your camera.. for a professional camera person its plain mad to not invest in SXS cards.. if you lose a client its going to cost you way more than a few SXS cards..

But you can't have it both ways.. its a bonus that the camera can actually be used with SD cards.. so the low end market can record to a very good codec at a very low price.. rejoice !!

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Jul 28, 2012 at 2:30:46 pm

4:2:2 on a small camera with 1/2" chips. That's a good thing. I'm also very happy about the 4 channels of audio that I believe it has. Plus the audio select & control switches are all on the left side of the camera, which is good, (I don't mean the line/mic switch, which is of course under the XLR inputs where it belongs).

The SxS cards slot is on the back of the cam and the door appears to swing out to the left of the camera, like a hinge. That concerns me as the door might be more prone to breakage if it accidentally opens and sticks out. Obviously one would have to see and handle the camera to determine if that's an issue, (I'm just looking at the picture - see link below). Also the shutter on/off switch has been moved from the front to the left side of the cam. I'm not sure I want that switch where the camera operator might accidentally switch it; but it's a switch as opposed to a button, which makes that scenario less likely.

Now I'm wondering if they fixed the sticky zoom issue on this model or if they put the same zoom motor as the EX1 - EX1/R on the PMW-200 ?

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/resource.latest.bbsccms-assets-mic...

Return to posts index

Alister Chapman
on Jul 31, 2012 at 4:56:14 pm

The lens has a new zoom servo, so slow zooms are improved. Still not up to $30K pro lens standards, but much better all the same.

Alister Chapman
http://www.xdcam-user.com

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Aug 13, 2012 at 8:31:12 pm

Wow. Thanks for the zoom servo motor info Alister. That's encouraging news.

Return to posts index

Tom Greenwood
on Nov 3, 2012 at 10:42:25 am

Hi,
Would really appreciate a pointer here. I'm leaving to shoot a doc in Syria tomorrow. Just got a PMW200 and I can't work out how to use the video I shoot with it. The log and transfer plug in for FCP 7 doesn't work at 50mbps (though it's fine for 35mbps).
Would be enormously gratefully if someone could point out a solution today (although I'll have sporadic email access there, so even if it comes late it would still be brilliant).
Thanks,
Tom

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Nov 4, 2012 at 1:44:08 am

Not an editor but had the same issue come up when I started sending 50 Mbps files from PMW500.. everyone is used to the BPAV folders from XDCAM EX but on one could deal with the 50 Mbps files in FCP.
The L +T doesnt seem to work for UDF folders ..

Answer seems to be XDCAM browser.. set pref to FCP7.. see the clips in Explorer window.. select all. right click and import to FCP.. also read recently better to start XDCAM Browser from FCP.. otherwise its in standalone mode,not plugin mode..

Now with the PMW200 being used I guess alot more than the 500.. Im sure this problem will come up more with FCP .. ?

Return to posts index

Tom Greenwood
on Nov 4, 2012 at 8:25:37 am

Thanks Robin, massively appreciated!
It seems to be working but it's taking forever - an hour for a 3 minute clip. Any ideas on why that might be?

Return to posts index

Tom Greenwood
on Nov 4, 2012 at 8:54:40 am

Thanks again, got the slow problem sorted by downloading drivers from the sony site.
All the best, T

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Nov 4, 2012 at 1:54:10 pm

Hi Tom

Yes need the driver and the UDF driver.. mac has its own UDF driver but super slow as you and I also found out the hard way..

You dont need the ilnk /FAM stuff..

Good luck

Return to posts index

Marshall Wetta
on Jan 18, 2013 at 3:51:40 am

Which UDF driver do you need to speed up downloads from the SxS cards via ShotPut Pro? I can only find the PMW-500 udf driver and don't want to cause any compatibility issues when I install it.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Jan 18, 2013 at 4:07:57 am

sorry cant say 100% but pretty sure the UDF driver isnt specific to the 500.. just any Sony camera that can generate UDF files.. 200/500 PMW PDW 700/800.. I think..

Just need the UDF driver thats all.. and SXS device driver if you are using a computer with EXP card slot..

Return to posts index

Marshall Wetta
on Jan 18, 2013 at 4:15:00 am

Thanks, Robyn, that's what I thought but I wanted to check first.

I already installed the SxS driver, as I'm using the Sonnet Echo Pro Thunderbolt SxS card reader. So, I hope I just need the UDF driver to kick the transfers up from a snail's pace.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Jan 18, 2013 at 12:37:00 pm

you may need the SXS drive software from the sonnet site too.. should be a link from the express card box in products

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]