FORUMS: list search recent posts

Large Ex1 file t

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Roberts
Large Ex1 file t
on Jul 19, 2012 at 1:30:06 pm

Hi Guys, hope you can help.

I have a large clip (20 mins long) which will not import straight into FCP7 vie log and transfer.

I've extracted the file info from the SXS Card onto my Macbook an have ended up with a folder containing 5 files- .MP4, .SMI, .PPN, .XML, .BIM

Can someone please explain how I can convert this into a .MOV so I can use it to edit in FCP7.

Thanks in advance,

Joel

Return to posts index

Puneet Malhotra
Re: Large Ex1 file t
on Jul 19, 2012 at 1:42:07 pm

hello Joel,

A software comes from sony by the name, utility Softare for XDCAM, just search from google and you get it. download the latest version and it will browse the XDCAM files and footage from EX1 , EX3 cameras.it is the only way you can get EX 1 footage into FCP. the software itself makes .mov files when you import it from BAVP folder.

puneetdnd@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 19, 2012 at 2:31:31 pm

Joel, if you want to avoid makIng things more difficult for yourself don't mess with the contents of any BPAV folder. Under normal circumstances you will never need to view anything inside them.

Sony has stand-alone products for converting XDCAM files to .mov format for FCP 7. They are XDCAM Transfer and the newer XDCAM Browser. The former is probably the easiest to use for the beginner but be advised that since XDCAM Transfer is considered a legacy program it may not work properly with the latest versions of the Mac OS.

Do a Google search for these programs, which are free by the way, or go to any of the official Sony sites. If you run into trouble using them post back.

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 19, 2012 at 2:35:00 pm

[Don Greening] "Joel, if you want to avoid makIng things more difficult for yourself don't mess with the contents of any BPAV folder. Under normal circumstances you will never need to view anything inside them. "

To use a simple analogy. Consider the BPAV your tape cassette. You'd never rip open the shell of a cassette to get at the tape, spool, etc. Open it up and risk damaging the contents. In this sense file media and tape are similar. Don't try to outthink or over think it. When using XDCAM Browser always use CRC enabled so the copy is confirmed good.

Return to posts index

Puneet Malhotra
on Jul 19, 2012 at 2:49:17 pm

yes Joel, XDCAM browser from Sony is the only way to go for....

Return to posts index

Joel Roberts
on Jul 19, 2012 at 3:12:23 pm

Thanks for your quick responses guys,

The thing is I do not have the actual SxS card itself or the camera. All I have is this folder of the above mentioned files. Will the transfer software still work with just these files?

Also I have been to the Sony website and selected the software. It then takes me to another page which does not seem to have a 'download' option.

Any further ideas or perhaps a direct workable link?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Joel Roberts
on Jul 19, 2012 at 3:21:16 pm

Ok, I think I have found a link for XDCAM Browser Software. Am downloading now so will let you know how it goes...

Return to posts index

Joel Roberts
on Jul 19, 2012 at 4:25:40 pm

Hi Don,

Ok, I have downloaded the XDCAM Browser software and got the interface open. Now I have dragged the MP4 file into the preview window so I can see the clip that I need to use.

All I want to do now is export the clip and turn it into a .MOV file so that it can be used in FCP7.

PLEASE NOTE though that I do not have Final Cut on this machine as I am using my girlfriends Macbook. My Macbook is the other side of the country. All I really need is this file as a raw .MOV

Any advise would be very welcome please please!!! Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 19, 2012 at 4:34:54 pm

[Joel Roberts] "All I really need is this file as a raw .MOV"

MOV is a container not a codec. XDCAM Browser will wrap XDCAM EX in MOV but you would still need the codec to play it back in Quicktime or an NLE.

If you need to transcode to another codec there's some (expensive) plugins for XDCAM Browser or you will likely need an external encoder program of some sort.

VLC will handle the XDCAM EX file in a pinch but it's not a very good encoder IMHO.

Return to posts index

Joel Roberts
on Jul 19, 2012 at 4:51:28 pm

Thanks Craig,

OK, so if I had FCP7 on the same machine could I import the file straight into that to be usable as a .MOV file?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 19, 2012 at 4:56:07 pm

If you have FCP7 you'd have XDCAM EX codec. Otherwise you can buy a decoder from CalibratedSoftware.

You could then use Apple Compressor to encode the XDCAM EX .mov to another codec such as Apple ProRes, Uncompressed 4:2:2 or H.264 .mov (if just for delivery).

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jul 19, 2012 at 5:05:38 pm

Option 1 (only rewrapping the .mp4s):

XDCAM Transfer v 2.13

http://www.sony.com/xdcam-downloads

Copy the .mp4s to a new folder, add that folder as a Source, Click the IMPORT button to rewrap to mov. If launched from within FCP (File-->Import-->Sony XDCAM) the files will go right to the currently open project.

Option 2 (rebuild BPAV folder and related Metadata):

XDCAM Browser v 2.1, also at http://www.sony.com/xdcam-downloads

Create a folder on your system then navigate to that folder in one of Browser's Explorer windows. Select File-->Import and import the .mp4s. This will create a new BPAV folder (camera archive). Browser also has rewrap/FCP import functionality so once you've fixed the folder you can select the clip, right click on it and select 'Import into FCP.' This will do the same kind of rewrap as Log and Transfer or XDCAM Transfer.

Return to posts index

Joel Roberts
on Jul 19, 2012 at 6:36:40 pm

Thanks a lot guys, I'll get a machine with FCP7 first then I guess and get it sorted from there. All advise greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 19, 2012 at 7:39:50 pm

Joel,

You have chosen wisely to show your appreciation to those who volunteer their time to help. A special thanks goes out to Ian Cook who works for Sony. If we shower enough accolades on Ian he may continue to help out here. We'll do our best to satisfy Ian by keeping him comfortable in the sandbox and feed him treats so we can call on him whenever we need help with something. Right Craig?

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 19, 2012 at 7:46:29 pm

[Don Greening] " A special thanks goes out to Ian Cook who works for Sony. If we shower enough accolades on Ian he may continue to help out here. We'll do our best to satisfy Ian by keeping him comfortable in the sandbox and feed him treats so we can call on him whenever we need help with something. Right Craig?"

Running out to buy Sony treats at the grocery store right now. I'm getting the large size.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jul 19, 2012 at 7:47:55 pm

lol, you are too kind, happy to contribute what I can

Cheers

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Jul 20, 2012 at 12:06:22 pm

I second that emotion.. Ian ..you are truly a national living treasure . we are all unworthy of your greatness..

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jul 21, 2012 at 12:14:42 pm

Careful guys, Sony will appoint him CEO and we'll lose him!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]