FORUMS: list search recent posts

SxS Card that worked for months now reading as "unsupported media" after using it in a different camera

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mary Catherine Brouder
SxS Card that worked for months now reading as "unsupported media" after using it in a different camera
on Jun 22, 2012 at 3:32:27 pm

Hi all!

I have a problem and it's driving me crazy! Any help would be much appreciated!

I purchased a Sony EX1R this past Christmas from B&H, which came with a 16gb XDCAM SxS card, and I've been using it and enjoying it very much. However, this weekend, I was shooting using two different cameras, the other being a rented EX1, and when I put my 16gb card back into my camera, it now says that the card is an invalid recording format. Can you tell me how I can reformat the card so it works again in my camera? The other camera was purchased in Ireland, so it records in PAL, but I had my EX1R set to record in PAL as well.

I think it had something to do with when I pulled my BPAV files from the card into the computer -- because the filed copied over, and then, when I put the card back into the other camera, it asked me to reformat the card, which I did. But the second time this happened, the camera reformatting stopped and stuck at 79%, and wouldn't go any further, even though I left it overnight.

I tried chatting with the B&H helpline and they told me to reformat the card on the computer to FAT 32, which I did, and then said I should be able to reformat it again in the camera, but I don't know how to reformat when the option to reformat doesn't come up automatically on the camera... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Mary Catherine

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: SxS Card that worked for months now reading as "unsupported media" after using it in a different camera
on Jun 22, 2012 at 4:36:59 pm

The symptom (especially the 79% formatting) sounds like firmware but a 16 GB SxS pro is an old card and should work fine in any EX hardware. Try reformatting in the camera (Others menu-->Format Media-->Select the A or B slot), recording and transferring a few clips and see if the problem resurfaces. If possible view the clips in the latest version of XDCAM Browser (http://www.sony.com/xdcam-downloads)and look for any corrupt clip warnings or loss of video/data.

You should also make sure you are running the latest firmware, which is also downloadable from the link above. Email me at ian dot cook at AM dot sony dot com if you need to discuss offline. You can also call the US support team at 800 883 6817..

Return to posts index

Mary Catherine Brouder
Re: SxS Card that worked for months now reading as "unsupported media" after using it in a different camera
on Jul 7, 2012 at 12:31:30 am

thank you so very very very much! after i reformatted to msdos/fat 32 in the mac, i reformatted the card in-camera, according to your instructions, and voila! it worked!!! thank you so much! best, mc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]