FORUMS: list search recent posts

Charging batteries in a car for Sony EX3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bernhard Walzl
Charging batteries in a car for Sony EX3
on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:38:40 am

Hi there!

I will be shooting a little doco in a couple of weeks and I am researching how I could charge my batteries. I will be out in the field for several days and the only power source I have os the car power outlet (cigarette lighter).

Is there a charger out there which I could use to charge my batteries through the car power outlet? Or should I buy an dapter which comes first in the line?

Maybe one of you has dealt with this problem in the past and can give me some advice.

Thanks,
Bernhard

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
Re: Charging batteries in a car for Sony EX3
on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:29:41 pm

I have used an adapter before. I know they make mobile chargers for this as well.

Bob

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: Charging batteries in a car for Sony EX3
on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:49:47 pm

I charge my still camera stuff and power my netbook using a cheap inverter. Lower current ones plug into your 12v accy/lighter and deliver plenty to drive a battery charger.

Using an EX3 I did a long interval recording of a 13 million pound dragline crane "walking" across a four lane highway on a temporary man-made cross road in -40F (well, that's -40C too) at about a tenth of a mile per hour. I parked the truck sideways in the median, rolled down the back window, and shot from the truck due to wind and cold. I ran that EX3 on the inverter for the entire time, a couple of hours at least, while I ran around and shot the run-n-gun stuff with the EX1 outside. Coldest shoot I ever had. My Canon still camera batteries froze up frequently but the Sony batteries had no issues.

For shooting aurora borealis I even bring a 100' extension cord reel so I can drive a set of Logitech speakers to provide mood music. :) This is all from a relatively small inverter; if you wanted to drive a lot of equipment, you could always get a higher wattage model that connects directly to the vehicle battery.

Cf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]