FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lytro Focus camera technology: Light Field Science

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Dunn
Lytro Focus camera technology: Light Field Science
on Jun 1, 2012 at 2:51:08 pm

I don't know if you have seen this new camera, but my hope is that they wake up and license this technology to Canon, Nikon, & Sony. Ultimately, if it would work with video, it would save all of us.

http://www.lytro.com/#

Lytro is a new camera ($500) that will let you focus the image AFTER it was taken using what they call "Light Field" technology. You can email someone and they can refocus the image by just clicking on different parts of the photo. No software needed. Pretty amazing and game changing.

My wish is that they develop this technology for video. How many times have we just missed our focus by a click or two....arrrgghhh. Wouldn't it be awesome to refocus on your computer, AFTER you finish your shoot?

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Lytro Focus camera technology: Light Field Science
on Jun 1, 2012 at 9:30:52 pm

It's a very interesting technology but I personally found the unit we demoed much too low in resolution to get too excited about. It reminds me of a very early two-megapixel Minolta digital camera I had about 8 or 9 years ago. Fuzzy images with very low dynamic range. The examples on their website are clearly of the absolutely best possible conditions. Any photo taken with an iPhone 4S totally blows it away.

That said, the technology is quite promising and when they can scale it up to higher resolution/dynamic range- without making it super expensive (and throw in video) it'll be much more of a keeper. We ended up sending our unit back to Lytro (which they were very gracious about) but I have no doubt they'll be back with more impressive cameras in the near future. A company to watch for sure.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: Lytro Focus camera technology: Light Field Science
on Jun 4, 2012 at 4:59:04 pm

They were aggressively offered millions for the technology. They preferred to build their own brand. I hope they license it to other companies and develop this for video.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite