FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is the fastest way to make a DVD after shooting a 2 hour football game with an EX3?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Fisher
What is the fastest way to make a DVD after shooting a 2 hour football game with an EX3?
on May 29, 2012 at 6:54:21 am

I have been asked to supply a football club with a DVD of the game straight after it's played.

Currently I am coming out of the EX3 via SDI into a Matrox MX02 MAX. I stop recording at the end of each quarter and drag that converted .mov file into DVD Studio Pro where it begins background encoding while I continue to shoot the second quarter. This way when the game finishes - I only have the fourth quarter to encode before burning all four quarters (approx 130mins in total) to dual layer DVD. The coach needs 3 copies as soon as I can produce them. However I have found this method to be a little touch and go with some sort of bug ensuring the first burn always fails - making it at least 60 minutes after the game before a DVD burns correctly.

Can anyone suggest a quicker and more robust way? I know Sony makes a VRD-MC6 DVD recorder but I can't work out if it could burn from an EX3 on the fly (while I'm shooting) as I'm not at all technical in knowledge. I don't care if it's SD but it has to be decent picture.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone can offer.

Sorry I'm not at all technical...

Return to posts index

David Wheeler
Re: What is the fastest way to make a DVD after shooting a 2 hour football game with an EX3?
on May 29, 2012 at 2:34:38 pm

If you are using a Matrox MXO2 in the setup, I'm guessing you are recording directly to a computer? You should be able to feed a component video signal plus audio directly from your Matrox to a standard DVD recorder and record real time. You should also be able to connect the EX3 directly to a standalone DVD recorder such as the one below which handles dual layer DVDs but only has a composite connection. You can feed a DV signal to the recorder at the same time you are recording to the camera cards.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/631186-REG/Sony_VRDMC6_DVDirect_MC6_M...

Dave

David Wheeler
EX1R; EX3; FCP 7; 17" MBP, MacPro Quad, Matrox MSO2,CS5
dave@marcombiz.com

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: What is the fastest way to make a DVD after shooting a 2 hour football game with an EX3?
on May 29, 2012 at 6:55:44 pm

For stuff like this, simple is the way to go. I'd just get a pair of cheap DVD recorders and use the Firewire output of the camera. If the coach isn't worried about anything but the speed at which he can get game footage, there ya go. No encoding time or programming time...just the few minutes it takes to finalize the disc and make the copies.

I saw a pair of recorders because you don't want to miss the start of the second quarter while your recorder is still finalizing the DVD of the first quarter! :) But recorders are cheap if you get one without a TV tuner. Just swap the cable to the second recorder with a disc loaded and ready, and you're able to record while the previous disc finalizes. After the first recorder has finalized you can make a couple of copies relatively quickly on your computer.

I don't recall offhand if you can feed the Firewire output and the Matrox at the same time...that's something to look into in case you want to record to the computer as a backup.

I've done gigs like that where it's more "quick and dirty" than one would like, but if you're giving them what they ask for in a fast and inexpensive way it's a success...even if the mechanics of it aren't very fancy.

Cf

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 30, 2012 at 5:35:24 pm

Yes, you can use Sony's Direct to DVD burner. Just send the signal out to the burner and record on the fly. You might want to record each half of the game on a separate DVD to make sure you don't loose quality or run out of space.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Jun 24, 2012 at 4:20:52 am

I ran main cam for a company that produced game films, with announcers, for an area high school team. 4 cams run back to the switcher in the truck. Output 1 to a hard drive recorder and output 2 to a Blu-Ray recorder, pausing at each timeout and/or quarter. Immediately after the game, the Blu-Ray was given to the coach and the hard drive copy was used to author DVD copies for each player which was delivered Monday morning. Worked fine every week with no issues.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]