FORUMS: list search recent posts

white balance settings

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim stamos
white balance settings
on May 27, 2012 at 6:23:56 am

on manually wb my camera i can do so with the a setting only. the b is atw and the bottom position is preset. cant i change the b or preset so can have 2 positions to manually white balance. im talking the ex1r

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: white balance settings
on May 27, 2012 at 6:42:44 pm

The ATW and Preset settings are not able to be changed. Unless W/B is also listed in the switch/button re-assign options you can't use another switch for W/B either. Without looking I don't think it's listed. The W/B preset is tied to picture profiles so if you're so inclined you can create 2 or more custom profiles with various W/B settings. The W/B switch will use the preset of whichever picture profile the camera is currenty using.

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 28, 2012 at 8:33:45 am

Don, I think you can use both A and B for manual white balance settings which will remain until you change balance. I also use the pre set in the way you describe, I have about six PP's with different Kelvin settings. Jim, try it out.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 28, 2012 at 6:27:43 pm

Just checked with my EX 1. In the 'Others' menu you can switch the White Balance 'B' position to 'Memory' and then have available 'A' and 'B' for your own manual W/B's. Then the 'Pre Set' can be used for various Kelvin settings within PP's as I explained in my previous post.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 28, 2012 at 7:51:33 pm

Michael is correct. I just tried both A and B settings and they'll both take a manual W/B. Cool. I always thought that ATW was all that setting would do. How long have I had these cameras now? Since December of 2007 and I never even tried to do a manual W/B with the ATW setting.

Thanks, Michael.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Jun 2, 2012 at 6:20:59 pm

im looking in others menu, just not seeing what youre referring to. i assume this is the same on the ex1r

Return to posts index

jim stamos
on Jun 2, 2012 at 6:27:31 pm

ok, found it and made adjustment, but want to change the preset back to 3200. its on 5600 now , where is that adjustment

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jun 2, 2012 at 8:15:41 pm

Right Jim, you're nearly there. It's not in any of the menus. You have to go to the Picture Profile menu, accessed on the EX 1 by the PP button on the back, just below the on/off switch. In the settings for a PP you will find 'White', press that then go to the bottom of that list to 'Preset' and you can set your Kelvin figure by pushing the toggle switch left and right. That's with my EX 1, the 'R' maybe different, Don will tell us if it is.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 3, 2012 at 12:31:17 am

The EX1R is the same.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index