FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I use progressive on EX1 for greenscreen, even when shooting 4:2:2?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry O'Brien
Should I use progressive on EX1 for greenscreen, even when shooting 4:2:2?
on May 14, 2012 at 1:16:11 am

Hi,

Lots of folks have commented that one should shoot greenscreen using the Progressive mode when using an EX-1. The logic is that the 4:2:0 makes for ugly edges when in Interlace mode because Red and Blue channels are interpolated between the actual scan lines.

I am capturing using a NanoFlash in the EX 4:2:2 format. Does the progressive mode recommendation still apply?

Basically, I am doing talking heads -- so not lots of motion, and I am not comfortable with Progressive footage. Since there is no time to test before I shoot, I would prefer to stick with Interlace unless I'll get a really ugly or substandard result from doing so.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: Should I use progressive on EX1 for greenscreen, even when shooting 4:2:2?
on May 14, 2012 at 3:11:03 pm

Yes.

You are always going to have better results with progressive. The only advantage of interlace is with fast action footage, such as sports.

You shouldn't feel afraid of progressive. You won't notice any difference when editing. When you have separate frames it allows for cleaner shots.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

David Wheeler
on May 15, 2012 at 3:50:57 pm

I do non-broadcast corporate work and never shoot interlaced footage. If my clients send me interlaced footage to use, I always have to de-interlace it before editing, so starting with progressive footage saves the extra step in editing. Shooting for broadcast (or fast motion) may require interlaced footage, but if your final product will be uploaded to a web server or viewed on computer monitors, you are always better working in progressive.

David Wheeler
EX1R; EX3; FCP 7; 17" MBP, MacPro Quad, Matrox MSO2,CS5
dave@marcombiz.com

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on May 19, 2012 at 2:52:47 pm

I just did a 1080 30p green screen shoot with an EX1. Results were excellent!

Bob

Return to posts index

Terry O'Brien
on May 19, 2012 at 5:22:11 pm

I just finished the shoot with the EX-1 and I've got to say I am underwhelmed!

I have never worked with a CMOS camera before, so I may just be behind the curve, but I say that the images from the two EX-1s that I was using was much noiser than images from even my Canon XH-A1 CCD camera with 1/3" sensors. This may just be the current state of what everyone will accept from CMOS, but I would rate the images as looking noisy like 35mm Kodak 5296, the old 400 asa film stock before T-grain.

My settings for the EX-1 were: all enhancements off. Detail off, Matrix off, -3db, and still there was a ton of noise in the green and the shadows. Oh yeah, the green was around 50 IRE, so nothing was getting underexposed.

My output was via SDI to a NanoFlash running 4:2:2 at 80Mb/sec. Since both cameras presented the same results (and we had done a complete "Reset All" on one of the cameras before doing our settings), I've got to assume that noisy images are just the norm.

What is your experience with video noise on the EX-1 image?

I will just have to see how things key.

Return to posts index

Terry O'Brien
on May 19, 2012 at 5:29:56 pm

Also, I did shoot 1920 Progressive at 30 because test footage at 35 Mb/s indicated significant tearing of the key. I had read that this may be due to the camera using interpolation to create the scan lines when in Interlace. In any event, keying at 35 Mb/s on Interlace was really chewy.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on May 22, 2012 at 6:19:57 pm

Maybe try some of these picture profiles. http://www.xdcam-user.com/2011/06/ex1-and-ex3-picture-profiles/

[Terry O'Brien] "I just finished the shoot with the EX-1 and I've got to say I am underwhelmed!

I have never worked with a CMOS camera before, so I may just be behind the curve, but I say that the images from the two EX-1s that I was using was much noiser than images from even my Canon XH-A1 CCD camera with 1/3" sensors. This may just be the current state of what everyone will accept from CMOS, but I would rate the images as looking noisy like 35mm Kodak 5296, the old 400 asa film stock before T-grain.

My settings for the EX-1 were: all enhancements off. Detail off, Matrix off, -3db, and still there was a ton of noise in the green and the shadows. Oh yeah, the green was around 50 IRE, so nothing was getting underexposed."

Bob

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on May 21, 2012 at 6:22:30 pm

I did two 3 green screen shoots with an EX1. All 1080P progressive. They all look great.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]