EX1 Queries

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lorcan Mulligan
EX1 Queries
on May 13, 2012 at 9:04:56 pm

Hi Guys

I am not a regularly user of an EX1 camera but I have a few queries:

- when I import the MP4 files there are several and I was only recording for about 20 minutes, I only stopped start only 3 times, why is this the case. Would the time code settings have any impact on this, they are Mode: Preset and Run: Rec Run

- when do you use the macro mode ?

- when do you click on the AF button ?

Any responses much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: EX1 Queries
on May 13, 2012 at 9:20:36 pm

Just import the BPAV files and don't worry - the EX file structure is very complicated. If you look you should have only three files labelled CLPR (or similar, I can't remember), but that would be the clips resulting from the three takes. Macro is self explanatory, it's for macro close ups. You only need it when you have to record small objects in ultra close up, I've never used it in four years with my EX 1. AF on the other hand has to be carefully used. You probably know that if you set your focus on manual you can still instantly switch to auto by pulling the whole lens barrel towards you in one 'click'. Most users of the camera prefer manual focus because you have total control of focus. Auto focus is best used when either you have no time to focus manually or when following a moving object. This works well provided you are securely 'locked on' to the object initially.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Lorcan Mulligan
on May 13, 2012 at 9:59:21 pm

thanks Michael, the white balance presets A & B, if you set mem
to preset A and then white balance, am i correct in saying that white balance is stored to this setting, so if you flick over to preset A and then flick back to preset B, it will pick up the white balance setting that you created earlier ? Also when ATW is set to preset, you can still manually white balance on this setting. What exactly ATW mean on the EX1 ?

Return to posts index

Bala Chandran
on May 14, 2012 at 12:25:54 am

ATW is auto tracking white balance. Camera will constantly white balance according to changing lights and/or colors in view, which is not very reliable unless your light source and subject colors remain more or less the same.
By default A is used for manually setting the white balance by pointing the camera at white or neutral grey and pressing the WHT BAL switch in the front, under the lens. B is for ATW which can be changed in the menu for a second choice of white balance memorization. Preset by default is 3200K.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 14, 2012 at 6:18:32 am

Yes Lorcan, you have it right with the A & B manual settings, they are retained in the memory. The other poster explains the ATW, never a good idea except in emergency for the reasons he explains. Setting the K figure manually is best for me. I store them in my Picture Profiles, I do a selection from 5600 down to 3300. To access these K settings I put the switch to Preset. To judge which to use can be tricky sometimes and comes down to personal choice. The screen has to be calibrated correctly and you have to rely on it - that can be tricky too if you are in bright light.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Lorcan Mulligan
on May 15, 2012 at 7:05:39 am

Hi Bala / Michael thanks for your responses. In the ex1 menu, i have set the white balance preset B to mem, however on screen I am still seeing ATW aligned to this white balance, why is this ? Also I notice there
is a button under the camera that turns on and off the shutter, what does this do ? and what icon would be associated with this on the LCD screen. Any responses much appreciated

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 16, 2012 at 9:03:58 pm

Lorcan, the ATW is, I believe, automatically brought into action when you set the switch to PRST (Pre Set) unless you specifically stop that happening in the menu. That may be why you are seeing ATW on the screen or, just as likely, you have pressed the Full Auto button which is one of three buttons just above the white balance switch. In that case everything goes to auto.

Why don't you try and get a sight of the instructional DVD on this camera, produced by Vortex Media and brilliantly presented by Doug Jensen. All will be revealed!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]