FORUMS: list search recent posts

.smi file

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
.smi file
on May 7, 2012 at 10:45:48 pm

I had someone shoot a 25 minute presentation for me and send me the BPAV file on a hard drive.
I'm trying to open it using XDCAM transfer, but it's not recognizing the clip. I noticed the .smi file. I'm pretty sure that he didn't use two cards, so why can't I import this clip, or re-wrap it as a .mov file?

I've been doing this for a long time and this is the first time I've run into this. I've searched the forum, but I really don't understand the solutions. Please help.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: .smi file
on May 8, 2012 at 1:49:45 pm

If it's 25 minutes it's a spanned clip. Does Transfer (preferably v 2.13) see it at all? Make sure BPAV is inside of another folder (e.g. 'Card 1'). If it's seen, what do you see in the Sub Clips area where the spanned portions are listed? How about XDCAM Browser (v 2.0)? If the meta has been damaged or modified you can manually import using Browser to rebuild the BPAV. You can also try copying just the .mp4s to another folder and loading that folder into Transfer as a source. Note that only the last couple versions of Transfer support reading standalone .mp4s...

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on May 8, 2012 at 2:35:01 pm

Hi Ian,

Thanks for responding: Yes, Transfer 2.13 sees everything. I see a short 3 second color bars clip with a .mp4 that's named ALee1362-01.MP4 and then a 23:03:00 clip named ALee1363.SMI.

In the subclips I see the SMI file and 7 MP4 files named Part 1 through Part 7

In XDCam Browser, I see the clip and can play the clip there. I've never used browser before. What would my next steps be?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on May 8, 2012 at 2:45:48 pm

If everything is seen when does the problem occur?

Can you do the highlight the .smi in the thumbnail area, load it into the player and import? The spanned clip should play and import normally, i.e. as one logical clip, as long as all the parts are seen by the system. You should see ticks along the play line at the splice points. In the SUB CLIPS area verify that just the .smi is checked; this means the spanned clip will import in one piece. You can also import just the various parts if you need to.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on May 8, 2012 at 3:01:01 pm

First I get this error message
Failed to import movie from file at /Volumes/FreeAgent GoFlex Drive/gball 5_3/3-3-12/BPAV/CLPR/ALee1363_01/ALee1363_01.MP4 (-50)

Then when I just click on the smi file. I get this message:
Exception opening XDCAM EX file (Condition Failure- Recognised meta Box)

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on May 8, 2012 at 3:08:39 pm

Ok, try one of the following:

1) importing just the mp4s by de-selecting the SMI and selecting the .mp4s in the sub clips area

2) importing using XDCAM Browser instead of Transfer (Control Click on file-->Import into FCP)

3) make a copy of the card in XDCAM Browser and try importing from the copy

4) manually re-import the .mp4s in Browser to rebuild the file/folder metadata. to do this highlight a location on your system (e.g. 'Desktop') in one of the Explorer windows, then go to File Menu-->Import, navigate to the card, type ".mp4" in the search box so that you can grab all of them at once, and import.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on May 8, 2012 at 3:40:21 pm

Ian thanks for your patience.

1. Does not work It does not import the mp4s
2. This control click does not have a FCP option. It gives me an option of MXF for NLEs or MXF for Pro Res
3. I do not have a card, just the BPAV folder
4. This option gives me an error message saying

Failed to import clip.
Reason: You don't have the right to access the file or writing is prohibited for the file.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on May 8, 2012 at 3:41:39 pm

Make sure you are using XDCAM Browser and not Clip Browser. http://www.sony.com/xdcam-downloads

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on May 8, 2012 at 3:46:04 pm

Downloading that now. I'll get back to you. Thanks so much Ian.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on May 8, 2012 at 4:27:07 pm

Hi Ian Using XDCAm Browser did not work. It's giving me this error message:
Failed to import clip

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on May 8, 2012 at 4:42:06 pm

Are you able to send to FCP from Browser? From FCP select Import-->Sony XDCAM Browser. Navigate to the folder containing your BPAV, verify that the clips display properly, select the clips and then ctrl-click-->Import to FCP.

Failing this can you select all and copy to a new location, then try on the copy? To copy, just drag clips between locations in the Explorer Window(s).

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on May 8, 2012 at 6:37:02 pm

Hi Ian

I've transferred all clips except the first clip. that's giving me an error, even when trying to export it into FCP. Any thoughts.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on May 8, 2012 at 7:03:46 pm

It sounds like that file may be corrupt or damaged. When you copied your data, did you just do a drag and drop of the BPAV? If so, please consider using XDCAM Browser or ShotPut Pro or some other utility to do verified transfers. Mac OS and Windows copies should be avoided.

If the file plays in Browser, will it let you transcode it or rewrap it? Try export-->MXF FOR NLE or EXPORT-->MXF for XDCAM HD422. (The latter is a transcode and will be watermarked unless a license is purchased for the Main Concept plugin...still worth trying.)

Does this file play on the camera? Do you have the means (like a Kona card) to capture it into your Mac via SDI? Or to play it out to another device like a Nanoflash, PMW-EX30, SRR/SRW recorder etc? Otherwise we are going to have to start getting creative and keep trying different file-copy operations and versions of Browser/Transfer software in the hope of getting lucky.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
mission accomplished!
on May 8, 2012 at 7:40:59 pm

Ian,

Thanks so much for hanging in there with me to get this taken care of. Your help is certainly appreciated.

I converted that first file to MXF then used XDcam transfer to wrap it as a .mov file. It worked!!!!

To your other points, I had this footage shot by another company out of town, so I'm not sure if they dragged the BPAV file over or not. I didn't have the card or camera just the drive they laid off the files to.

Any thanks again. Kudos to you for all of your help and patience. Have a great afternoon!

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: mission accomplished!
on May 8, 2012 at 8:15:39 pm

Best news ever-- so glad it all worked out!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]