FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archiving to sd cards

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Alexander
Archiving to sd cards
on May 5, 2012 at 9:36:03 am

Hi there,

I've done a search but haven't turned up much in the way of an answer. I'm interested to know people's thoughts about using sd cards to archive rushes from SxS rather than hard drives. Now that they're pretty cheap and come in the same sizes as the SxS it looks like a good way to backup rushes - no moving parts, compact etc. but are there any problems with data life or integrity?

Thanks,
Rob

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Archiving to sd cards
on May 5, 2012 at 8:21:48 pm

Storing or archiving media on SDHC is perfectly acceptable. What you must decide is how long you wish to store the media. This will determine which class of SDHC you'll be purchasing. There are basically 2 types of solid state memory:

1) single level cell
2) multi level cell

Single level cell technology is 10x more reliable than multi level cell. I know the reasons why this is so, but if you wish to learn the reasons for yourself then read the PDF white paper at the link below.

http://www.supertalent.com/datasheets/SLC_vs_MLC%20whitepaper.pdf

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 6, 2012 at 10:47:25 am

Don, that's fascinating, thanks a lot.

Presumably the expensive S X S cards for the EX cameras are single level cells, are you able to confirm that? Currently, many of us are archiving finished productions on to small (up to 1TB) drives. One always hears that "these will surely fail at some point". What do you think that the situation is with cards? I think that anything reliable with a capacity of even say 300 GB's would be ridiculously expensive judging by the price of the best Sony S X S cards.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 6, 2012 at 7:31:41 pm

[Michael Slowe] "Presumably the expensive S X S cards for the EX cameras are single level cells, are you able to confirm that? "

Your presumption is correct. SxS Pro is single level cell whereas SxS-1 is multi-level cell. Each is good for 100,000 and 10,000 record/erase cycles, respectively.

I'm sure that over time every storage solution will fail depending on how long the media stays in storage. I have no clue as to the expected storage life of solid state media, but given enough time I'm sure even the most durable device will leak voltage eventually.

Right now I'm using inexpensive (and relatively small) USB drives. If they get exercised every 6 months they'll probably last at least until a more permanent solution is invented. I think most of the big production facilities use LTO storage. It's generally accepted as being the most reliable storage solution but the cost of machinery and tape stops the small potatoes guys like me from investing in the tech. I don't have enough archived media to justify the cost.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 7, 2012 at 9:34:26 am

Thanks Don, my feelings exactly. Can we please go back to film? You could see it, you could touch it and provided you shone a light through it you would always get a nice picture.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]