FORUMS: list search recent posts

SXS 1 64GB and digital EXT PMW500

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Probyn
SXS 1 64GB and digital EXT PMW500
on Apr 26, 2012 at 11:22:42 pm

Hi there

1 Will the SXS1 64GB card,as opposed to the Pro,do over/under crank on the PMW500.In UDF mode

2 With the option board installed.. will the digital Ext function work in 1080 UDF mode..

Thanks

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: SXS 1 64GB and digital EXT PMW500
on Apr 26, 2012 at 11:41:17 pm

There's no difference in performance between the two cards. The difference is in the longevity.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 27, 2012 at 12:16:18 am

Thanks Don

Thats what I thought.. but saw a video review that was a bit unclear..and seemed to say Sony recommend only the pro version for over crank /under crank.. it may have been referring to SD cards being used in an adaptor..

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 27, 2012 at 12:28:09 am

Yeah, the SXS Pro uses single level cell technology and is good for 100,000 cycles. The orange SXS1 card uses double level cell tech. It sounds like it should be a better solution but it's not. These cards are good for 10,000 cycles. Still a lot of cycles in anyone's book.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 27, 2012 at 12:32:25 am

Ok thanks.. what do you mean by.. it sounds like a better solution but its not.. out of interest..?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 27, 2012 at 1:25:03 am

Double level cell technology, because of what the name implies would suggest that it's better quality, but this isn't the case. Single level cell in flash media lasts far longer.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 27, 2012 at 1:25:10 am

double post.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Apr 27, 2012 at 3:04:37 pm

-No difference in performance between pro/-1 cards. As has been noted the difference is the lifespan and memory type.

-Digital Ext works in UDF mode

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 27, 2012 at 3:14:56 pm

Hi Ian

Ok thanks.. Iam sure I read in the manual that digital ext dint work in 1080 mode ? is that not right.

Also sorry another question.. after I had down loaded the SXS drives,and UDF driver.. at a test today of the hoped improved down load times.. the 64GB pro cards wouldnt mount on my desk top.. they have done before (but with the slow down load) 32GB cards were fine.
After changing card readers ,cards and cables.. and trying another computer.. an older MBP with older software.. which worked fine.. it does seem for some reason that my computer is at fault.
I re down loaded the drives. but no cigar..
Short of just binning this one and buying a new one tomorrow .. any idea what could be going on here.. doesnt seem to follow any logic.. they mount without the drives.. with the drives they dont mount.. but 32 does.. all software up to date and installed ok.. rental place had never seen this problem.. or Sony support on the phone.. I dont want to say.. why me.. but it does look that way :)

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]