FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can this be?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
How can this be?
on Apr 25, 2012 at 4:15:17 pm

My crew shot footage and interviews for 1 day on our EX1. I took the card and using XDCAM transfer,
I transferred all of the footage into FCP. I gave the client a hard drive with all of the footage as well as the BPAV Folder. I wasn't on the shoot, so I couldn't identify if something was missing

The client says that the last interview and some last B-roll shots are not there. Their editor says they are not in the BPAV file either. How can this be? The card was not full (SDHC card), and we've shot 4 shows since then with no problem.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: How can this be?
on Apr 25, 2012 at 4:25:55 pm

Sounds like operator error - failure to roll! It wouldn't be the first time this happened to somebody.

JS

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 25, 2012 at 4:31:33 pm

Do you see the missing shots in FCP?
Did you use ClipBrowser with CRC to copy them?
Can you look inside the BPAV to see if just some parts of the file structure is missing?
I always keep a complete copy of the BPAV for myself when delivering camera masters to a client.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Apr 25, 2012 at 5:02:08 pm

Hi Craig and John, thanks for your replies. John I would find it hard to believe that my crew would not shoot an entire interview where they start and stop between questions, and also would not shoot B-roll. It's too easy to see the the EX1 rolling.

Craig, No I didn't keep the BPAV, but I kept all of the re-wrapped shots. I used those rewrapped shots to create a FCP timeline for the client so they could review the footage in prep for their edit. Those shots were not there. I'm asking for the hard drive with the BPAV file to be returned to me.

My workflow is to take XDCAM transfer and convert all of the files from the BPAV folder. It's always worked great.

To your point about saving the BPAV file. That's a good idea, but would I be able to rename that file so I can identify it as being the file from a specific shoot? Or would that cause a problem?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 25, 2012 at 5:10:34 pm

[Greg Ball] "Those shots were not there."

That's not a good sign.

[Greg Ball] "My workflow is to take XDCAM transfer and convert all of the files from the BPAV folder. It's always worked great."

As per my seat belts explanation. If you don't wear them it only takes a once in a lifetime fatal accident . . .
It may have worked great . . . until now. You may never know the cause but using ClipBrowser with CRC on might have caught this (as would ShotPut). Basically there's some change that the clips never copied and without proper software that uses some form of checking, you'd never know,

Return to posts index

David Wheeler
on Apr 25, 2012 at 5:13:12 pm

Never rename the BPAV folder itself, but you can rename the folder that contains the BPAV folder it to whatever you want. Your Browser and Transfer software will not recognize the clips if it does not see "BPAV" in the file structure.

David Wheeler
EX1R; EX3; FCP 7; 17" MBP, MacPro Quad, Matrox MSO2,CS5
dave@marcombiz.com

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 10, 2012 at 3:15:32 pm

Was there more than one card in the camera? Sometimes the operator can accidentally press the button to switch cards and it will record on the 2nd card.

Yes, I will repeat the other post. Always copy the entire BPAV card to your drive and keep a copy for yourself. I just make a folder for the shoot and subfolders for each card with titles. Don't change anything on the BPAV folder.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Apr 25, 2012 at 5:04:00 pm

Did the recording maybe continue onto a 2nd card that you didn't transfer?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Apr 25, 2012 at 5:18:47 pm

If BPAV had been renamed or otherwise modified it's unlikely that Transfer would show any clips (not without a little surgery, anyway). I couldn't agree more re all the suggestions to back up properly and leave BPAV intact but if it's just a few clips either the TAKR folder wasn't copied or else he may have rolled on a 2nd card without knowing it. A little more info from the receiving end (some screen shots of the directories and of Transfer UI) would probably shed some light..

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Apr 25, 2012 at 5:55:01 pm

Does the interview end while in progress?
If so perhaps the 2nd part of the file wasn't rewrapped

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Apr 25, 2012 at 8:34:50 pm

To Ian... Nope we only used one card. That's the weird thing. The camera operator left the card in the camera when he returned it to me so I would know which card he used.

To Michael...nothing from the last interview is there. It's as if they never recorded it.

Return to posts index

Bill Griffin
on Apr 26, 2012 at 1:08:42 am

This also happened to me several years back as I was using a Hoodman 16 gig SDHC card. The weird thing as the card said it was at 14.9 gig full, but we never could open the card. My Ex3 said it recorded and it did...but no media on the card.

Bill Griffin
HD Cameraman
972-475-6870
cell-214-802-9257

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 26, 2012 at 6:31:46 am

I might have a work around but first I should relate the story about why I think this might work. I was one of the first to get my KiPro Mini and at that time one of the recommended CF cards was the Lexar 600x professional UDMA 32G card. That card is no longer on the list for the following reason which I discovered. If the card was already inserted in one of the KiPro Mini's card slots and then the device was started, the Mini would show recording taking place, the card capacity would show less and less available space, the clip names would progress each time the record button was pressed etc. In short everything looked normal until the time came to transfer the media. There was nothing on the card of any description.

However, if the device was started up and then the Lexar card inserted all clips would be there afterwards.
My point: try starting up the camera without your SDHC cards inserted and then plug them in. Who knows, that may solve the issue.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Galen Yeo
on Apr 28, 2012 at 12:49:11 am

I'd use Shotput pro software to be safe. The only time I've encountered this problem was when a shot was spanning two cards. The last shot of one card and the first shot of another - typically doesn't always show up in the XDCam browser.

We've lost data in cards before - and found that the card was defective. It was still within a year of purchase but our local Sony office did not want to honour the warranty, claiming that it wasn't covered (although the camera purchased with it was). After a while, they checked the card and found that it was faulty. The first sign is that it doesn't format correctly.

I'd send the card in for checking by Sony - or change the card if it's not a SxS card.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 28, 2012 at 12:55:53 am

[Galen Yeo] "or change the card if it's not a SxS card."

The OP has already stated that it was an SDHC card.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]