FORUMS: list search recent posts

New PDZK-LT2 plugin for FCPX; XDCAM Browser 2.1 + 3.0 Preview

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Cook
New PDZK-LT2 plugin for FCPX; XDCAM Browser 2.1 + 3.0 Preview
on Apr 17, 2012 at 5:54:33 pm

The new Import From Camera plugin for FCP X will be on the US XDCAM site within the next couple days. Model name is PDZK-LT2 and it requires FCP 10.0.4.

LT2 is a background add-on (no separate tool or workspace) and allows for native import and archiving from EX sources, including stored card images. It supports all the EX formats including SD. It does not support XDCAM optical Disc formats at this time (see below for new optical ingest workflow). As with Browser, XDCAM Transfer and Log and Transfer, LT2 is a re-wrapper and does not transcode on import to ProRes or any other codec (even if the user selects the option to 'Create Optimized Media' in the Import wincdow).

The new version of XDCAM Browser (2.1) has plug-in integration with FCP X and can be used for both EX and optical XDCAM. FCP X will not have the 'Import-->Sony XDCAM' command we had in 7, but otherwise the workflow is similar; files sent from Browser 2.1 will be sent to X and attached to a new event in the current project. If X is not running there's a preference to have it launch when you send files to it. Currently all imports have to go to a 'new' event; we currently don't support selecting existing events. This may change going forward.

While the Import From Camera workflow is native, some users with more metadata-intensive EX ingest workflows may prefer to use XDCAM Browser 2.1, as there is currently very little pre-logging support in X's Import From Camera window. For example if you need to add title metadata, or comments, or create subclips, you cannot do this in the IFC area.

The next version of Browser, v 3.0, will have added NXCAM support via a chargeable add-on. This will add the ability to export back to AVCHD card images/media; direct Blu-ray burning and additional export/output options for the Sony NXCAM format.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: New PDZK-LT2 plugin for FCPX; XDCAM Browser 2.1 + 3.0 Preview
on Apr 18, 2012 at 12:53:53 am

Thanks for the update Ian.

Your comment "It does not support XDCAM optical Disc formats at this time" suggests that there could be future traction in that area ... are you able to say whether direct support for XDCAM optical media with the PDZK-LT plugin is actively being developed but just not yet sucessfully implemented? Or is this more a "we may or may not consider it after which we may or may not develop it" kind of thing? As someone working with the optical media format, am just trying to read more clearly between those lines ;-)

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Apr 18, 2012 at 3:56:26 am

One minor correction-- sub-clipping on import is supported with IFC and EX.

It's unlikely that optical XDCAM will be supported but it's still being investigated. There are pretty solid technical reasons on both sides for the difficulty involved in the development. At any rate the Browser workflow is in many ways preferable to IFC, especially if any logging or clip/disc management is required.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Apr 19, 2012 at 5:26:15 pm

One more clarification which I don't think I made clear earlier-- Browser is only required for MXF on optical disc. For MXF on SxS (from PMW-500, PDW-HR1/MK2, XDCAM Station) you can use Import From Camera to reward the XDCAM .mxfs to .movs.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Apr 21, 2012 at 7:32:07 pm

Ian, has the new SW been posted?

Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, I don't see it.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 22, 2012 at 11:15:46 am

LT2 and XDB2.1 is available here Kevin :
http://support.sonybiz.ca/esupport/Navigation.do?filetype=Software

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Apr 22, 2012 at 12:17:08 pm

I was looking in the wrong place.

This link is Sony's CA site, correct?

For some reason it's not on their US site yet.

Either way, thanks.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 22, 2012 at 2:21:00 pm

FWIW this has been an ongoing history. Sony USA seems to always be days if not weeks behind XDCAM software updates. Since this has been the case for a number of years, it seems the bureaucracy at whatever dept. handles Sony support website in USA is inherently slow.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Apr 24, 2012 at 3:20:28 pm

Those are not the US downloads.

For the record, anyone who's used the new XDCAM downloads site will see that serious, tangible improvements have been made wrt having a user-friendly, easy-to-navigate and up-to-date download page. Since we've moved away from hosting everything on the Software Plus site, there is zero bureaucracy; it's quite literally the product manager, one web services person and myself doing all of it and taking on the work precisely because of all the bottlenecks we had to deal with in the past.

The reason-- and I've addressed this before-- the US site is sometimes a bit late when posting XDCAM-related updates is that we test the software and often redo the documentation. Most of the smaller international Sony Sales companies around the world just take what they get from Japan and upload it. Believe me, it's in everybody's best interest that we do this.

I will have LT2 uploaded to our site shortly.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 30, 2012 at 7:58:17 am

This is not working for me at all, I have installed it and when I try to "import camera archive" I get the "unsupported media" message when I point it at the BPAV folder. Am I doing something wrong?

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Apr 30, 2012 at 12:04:02 pm

It works for me on two systems, directly from the SXS cards, anyway. Either they automatically open when inserted in the card reader with FCPX running, or if I select import from camera. And it's the non US version but it's been fine so far.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Apr 30, 2012 at 2:12:20 pm

Are you running 10.0.4 and pointing to the folder above BPAV (i.e CLIPS/BPAV)?

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Apr 30, 2012 at 1:18:31 pm

Ian,

Will the new FCPX plugin work with Memory Stick Pro cards?

I downloaded both the new Browser and the FCPX plugin, from the Sony Canada site. Browser works, but the plugin does not.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 1, 2012 at 10:16:35 pm

Ian, does it only work DIRECTLY from an SXS card, or is it meant to work with BPAV folders copied to hard drives

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on May 2, 2012 at 1:25:23 pm

Will work with both cards and folders as long as the BPAV/CLPR structure is maintained

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 2, 2012 at 3:55:19 pm

[Ian Cook] "Will work with both cards and folders as long as the BPAV/CLPR structure is maintained
"

Thanks Ian, at least I know it's supposed to work, even though for me it isn't

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on May 2, 2012 at 5:21:28 pm

Ian,

I installed both the new version of Browser and the FCPX plug-in.

Browser works fine, including sending to FCPX.

However, the FCPX plug-in is not working. When I choose Import ..., I navigate to the BPAV directories and all I can do is navigate the files and folders. I can't browse and import any clips.

Can you provide any suggestions as to address whatever it is I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on May 2, 2012 at 5:30:41 pm

You use 'Import From Camera', not the traditional 'Import-->Files.' This opens the IFC browser-- point it to a card or select 'Open Archive' for saved folders.

Make sure you are at FCP 10.0.4

Return to posts index

Rakesh Nathoo
on May 2, 2012 at 11:54:19 pm

I am also having the same issues that Steve Connor is having.
When using 'open archive' and pointing to the BPAV folder, its comes up not supported.

I am running 10.0.4 and my BPAV folders are on a Drive via firewire 800. This all works (very nicely) with XDCam tranfer, but doesnt with this new plugin.

Anyone else these issues?

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on May 3, 2012 at 11:33:00 am

Ian,

When I choose Import From Camera, I can see all my drives listed under Archives. However, I can't select any of them. If I choose Open Archive, I can navigate to and through the BPAV files, but I get an error.

I'm running 10.0.4.

What could I be doing wrong?

Kevin

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 14, 2012 at 6:24:57 pm

I created a new user on my system, re-installed FCPX and now the plugin works great! Must be a conflict somewhere that was causing the issue.

Steve Connor
"Sometimes it's fun to poke an angry bear with a stickl"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Ken Lowrie
on May 22, 2012 at 10:39:34 pm

I'm having the same issue on my macbook pro. Running Lion, 10.7.4 and FCPX 10.0.4.

Strangely enough, on my Mac Pro (also Lion 10.7.4 and FCPX 10.0.4), it works just fine. When I Import from Camera, if one of the SxS cards is mounted, I can see the clips and import them.

The only difference between the two is that on my MacPro, I use the external USB SxS card reader. On my Macbook Pro, I am using the Express Card slot to mount the card. I did download and install the latest drivers before I tried doing all of this.

I did try to reinstall the Import plug-in, but it just won't work. The only camera it sees when I do Import from Camera is the built-in webcam...

Any other ideas that could be tried? I suppose I could trash FCPX and reinstall, but don't want to do that if I don't have to. Is there any debug log that could be enabled on the plug-in or perhaps an existing log file that might shed some light on what is going wrong?

Thanks,
-ken

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]