FORUMS: list search recent posts

UDF & Fat 32

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Probyn
UDF & Fat 32
on Apr 10, 2012 at 12:54:52 am

On the back of the long downloads Ive found with the PMW500 (a very nice camera BTW) I wonder is there alot more data in UDF than FAT.. which would make the UDF 50mbps down loads way longer the FAT format SXS recordings..??

Return to posts index

Bruce Rawlings
Re: UDF & Fat 32
on Apr 10, 2012 at 12:24:44 pm

Have you loaded UDF SxS driver? I had slow tranfers until I looked into it. Sorry just seen your other reply. SxS Driver is up on Sony USA site.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 11, 2012 at 1:31:08 am

Hi Bruce

Yes I down loaded and installed the SXS driver and the UDF driver.. I think the SXS driver is needed only when using the express port of a 17inch MBP.. but the UDF driver is needed for any UDF SXS media attached to the computer.. which I didnt know ..is that right..?

Were you using the card reader or the express port ?

I cant check now as that shoot is over,but will go to the rental and check it after this current shoot ends..

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Apr 10, 2012 at 1:34:34 pm

No, there may be more data in the sense of higher bit rates and larger files but there is no hidden/raw data as there is with MXF on optical disc. I still think it's an issue of overhead on your Mac. Have you tried a local copy to the desktop instead of USB-->Ext fw drive?

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 11, 2012 at 1:39:29 am

Hi Ian

I still think it's an issue of overhead on your Mac.

Sorry but I dont under stand what that means.. or how I would check/ resolve such an issue..?

I have downloaded UDF driver and SXS driver.. I thought these were only necessary when using express port.but reads like the UDF driver is necessary when any UDF media is attached to the computer .. is that right.?

Will check that out when as i can.. as no longer have the camera with me at home as it was rented.

I did copy data from one drive to another by drag and drop and it was fast.. no problems.. dont think shotput pro is the problem,unless the UDF format is for some reason giving it trouble.. and XDCAM browser was also very slow..

Maybe I needed the UDF driver ? if it makes any difference when using the USB card reader,not just the express slot of the 17inch MBP

Thanks again..

Return to posts index

Bruce Rawlings
on Apr 11, 2012 at 1:41:53 pm

I down load onto a MacPro (early 2011) with 12GB of memory using the Sony SxS reader. Have not tried MacBook Pro yet.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 11, 2012 at 3:39:50 pm

Hi Bruce

Ok thanks.. so after you down loaded the UDF driver the down load was much quicker..? even with the USB card reader..how long does a near full 64GB card take ?

Is the mac pro also a laptop?

Thanks again.. how do you find the 500..

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Apr 11, 2012 at 4:06:54 pm

JFYI the driver requirements shake out as follows:

SxS Device Driver: Required only when using an express card slot, regardless of UDF vs FAT status of media

SxS UDF Driver: Always required for viewing UDF SxS volumes, regardless of whether they are read over class compliant device (USB) connections. In other words you can have Fat 32 with no UDF driver but cannot do UDF without the UDF driver. It's a file system driver whereas the Device driver is really just for talking to the card's controller in an E-card slot..

Also when using both make sure the Device driver is installed first followed by UDF..

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 11, 2012 at 4:11:09 pm

Thanks Ian

Would having the UDF driver installed have any effect on the down loading time from the USB reader to an ext HDD then..? as Bruce suggested was the case with his set up..

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Apr 11, 2012 at 4:12:47 pm

The file system is not read correctly (if at all) without it

Return to posts index

Bob Foster
on Apr 12, 2012 at 6:33:01 am

Hello All,

New to Creative Cow and a SONY PMW 500 formated as UDF for HD244 720P 50 on 32 gig sxs cards - editing on EDIUS 6 and also FCP 6 and 7. Just switched from Panasonic P2 - so everything I know is wrong.

Please be sure to pay attention to your OS system, the type of chips (Intel core duo, etc.) the Sony read me files and system requirements and release notes. I downloaded all of the following for my MacBook Pro (2.5 GHZ Intel core duo) OS 10.5.8, FCP 6.0.6. The XDcam browsers may only work with newer systems, but the XDcam transfer works on my "legacy" Mac. There are different drivers, plugins, etc. that have to be loaded for 10.5 - than for 10.6 and 10.7. I didn't read that fine print myself and loaded all of these from SONY. Without these your Mac computer may not even recognize your sxs cards. As for speed I've noticed both Mac and PC laptops download faster using their internal slot. Copying via drag and drop has resulted in some files missing on our Windows network, but that may be problems with our infrastructure, network drives, and/or Windows 7. Basically I don't know why I've recently lost files. ):

For older MAC systems (but not too old) search the SONY downloads for these. As mentioned above, SONY wants some things downloaded in a certain order.

PDZKLT1A2
PDZKP1 XDCAM TRANSFER_v212
SxS UDF v1_01 and Device Drivers v1_xx
SxS Drivers_Mac_Device_v105_UDF_v102
XDCAM Browser_200_Mac

For newer MAC and PC systems:

XDZP1_ClipBrowser_MacAndWin_V2.6.0

As for windows - that's the exclusive domain of my employer's IT team to update, but (if you have a PC) do get and install the latest Windows card drivers, plugins, device drivers, XDcam browser, firmware, etc. And check back with the SONY download page. We currently have issues with the PC version of XDcam browser 2.0 being unable to copy offline clips (for field logging), and with EDIUS 6.0.6 printing back to an sxs card in 720P that the PMW 500 will recognize for playback. One of our brilliant engineers created a workaround using the REPLACE program and is trying to get Grass Valley (who bought EDIUS) and SONY to look into what he found is happening.

But remember - everything I know could be wrong.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 12, 2012 at 8:03:54 am

Hi Ian

Thanks again for your time.. have down loaded the drives.. one question.. where are those drives UFD and SXS drive stored on a mac..? down loaded to internal hard drive.. but cant find them anywhere ???

I wonder now if the reason for the long down loads was the footage was being transcoded by my calibrated software for MXF ..? everything plays fine but in quicktime it says format Calibrated 422HD MXF.. not UDF..
would that make sense..?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Apr 12, 2012 at 12:27:16 pm

Hi Robin,

Sorry for the confusion - there's no transcoding going on. When our import/decode codecs are installed and being used to decode the video - there's a description information field that QuickTime asks for for just informational purposes - which we label with "Calibrated [whatever codec is being used]". It's just there for informational purposes and no transcoding is being done on the file.

Also I think UDF is a type of filesystem (like Fat32, NTFS, HFS+,etc) and not a 'file'. And our software would not influence any download speeds as that would be handled by the operating system and external device you are downloading from.

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 12, 2012 at 2:56:06 pm

Thanks Greg.. again for your help.. hopefully the UDF driver will speed up the process.. I,ll give that a try..asap.. and a new computer with the slot !! good excuse for a new one :)

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Apr 12, 2012 at 4:45:13 pm

Thanks Greg..

Yes, the Calibrated decoders are not converting anything and not affecting copy/transfer time. You're probably only seeing that in the properties because of the file association. In other words it's a red herring..

As I wrote above, UDF is a file system and the UDF driver is a file system driver. The SxS Device driver is an actual hardware driver that speaks to the controller on the card when mounted in an e-card slot.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 13, 2012 at 12:06:32 am

Ian thanks again for your time and comments..

Yes I see that as you say,its a red herring..

I could down load,playback etc without the UDF driver ,and according to shotput pro all files copied correctly.

Could the lack of the UDF driver be the reason for the slow down load.Yes I should just check it but dont have the camera/reader with me now at home.. but just wonder on your thoughts .. Bruce seemed to have the same problem,which was solved by down loading the driver..

Where exactly would I find the SXS device driver and the UDF driver in the HD..? done a search but cant see them..?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 13, 2012 at 4:01:09 am

Hi John

Thanks for your time sir.Sorry I think my last post was un clear.

I found and down loaded the drivers.. but was unable to locate them on my own computers HD.. down load was fine but when I just wanted to find where they had gone on my mac internal HD.. couldnt find them anywhere.. down load was successful just for my own analness I want to know where they are.. :)

ASAP I,ll go to the rental house.. shoot an hour or so of a focus chart or something and try a down load with the SXS UDF driver installed.. I didnt know that this driver was needed .. but anyway live and learn and i hope the lack of driver was the problem..

I was able to down load ok with out the driver,same as Bruce, but just at very slow speeds.. so hopefully as Bruce found installing the driver is the answer.. although I appreciate that USB2 will always be the slow option .. hurry up thunderbolt card readers !!

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 14, 2012 at 1:43:15 pm

Thanks Ian

Would having the UDF driver installed have any effect on the down loading time from the USB reader to an ext HDD then..?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]