FORUMS: list search recent posts

Optical discs from PDW-700 taking 10+ hours to copy with PDW-U1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Bacon
Optical discs from PDW-700 taking 10+ hours to copy with PDW-U1
on Apr 5, 2012 at 7:55:26 pm

Long time listener, first time caller -

Shooting on three PDW-700s and ingesting media with two PDW-U1s. Every time I try to copy the XDCAM disc over to my hard drive (wired via FW800), it takes up to 12 hours for everything to copy over! I'm staring at my status bar begging it to move faster, but it seems to be unable to move any more than 6GB/hour.

This started two days ago; prior to that I had successfully copied six full dual-layer discs in a normal amount of time (under an hour).

Relevant facts:
  • I'm very new to this workflow and it's possible I've overlooked something simple.

• The settings on the PDW-700s HAVE been changed in that time. Not sure if there's a setting that would limit the downstream bandwidth of the optical discs - that doesn't seem very likely to me.

• When importing via XDCAM Transfer, my transfer speed says it's going at .2x. XDCAM Transfer is latest version - 2.12.

• Under the "Identification" panel in the "Information" tab in XDCAM Transfer, the discs that copied over at normal speed are Version 1.660. Troubled discs are Version 1.710.

• Tested two different PDW-U1s on three different MBPs - same result with each setup.

• Tested three different USB cables - same result.

• Attempted copying disc data via XDCAM Transfer, Shotput Pro, and just a straight copy-paste of the XDCAM data onto my HDD - same result.

• Optical discs were used last season, and are reformatted and reused for this season.

ANYONE out there have ANY ideas of why this is happening? What am I overlooking? I'm pulling my hair out over here!

-Nick B

• Return to posts index

Don Greening
    Re: Optical discs from PDW-700 taking 10+ hours to copy with PDW-U1
    on Apr 5, 2012 at 8:48:02 pm

Hi Nick,

Thanks for calling :) You might get an answer here in the XDCAM EX Forum but there is actually a forum specifically for XDCAM HD disc-based cameras. You will probably get faster and more educated answer there. Don't be thrown off by the F900 reference in the link below:

http://forums.creativecow.net/sonyF900

Cheers,

- Don

Don Greening
    A Vancouver Video Production Company
    Reeltime Videoworks
    http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]