FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hoodman Adapter locks and unlocks

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nels McLaughlin
Hoodman Adapter locks and unlocks
on Apr 5, 2012 at 3:25:35 pm

I have two Sony EX3's (with up-to-date firmware) and am using a combination of the Sony SxS memory cards (two 16 GB cards and one 32 GB card) and six 32 GB SDHC cards from various manufacturers (2 Transcend, 3 Hoodman RAW, 1 PNY). The 6 non-Sony SDHCs are all mounted in Hoodman RAW SxSxSDHC adapters.

The problem I am having is with the Hoodman adapters - randomly, when I put them into the camera, they show up as write-protected, which they never are (yes, I check them to confirm). Sometimes when I reinsert them, they work perfectly, and sometimes they still show up as write-protected. I've done the tests with different adapters with different memory cards, different brands of card in different adapters, putting the adapters into the other slot in the camera, etc., with no discernible pattern. I've even been on shoots with two cards in the Hoodman adapters where one will appear as locked half-way through shooting, so the camera switches slots. I also have an extra adapter that will not read ANY card I EVER put into it, so it's been retired and is only used to import footage using the slot on my MacBook Pro.

I've been able to determine (I think) that the Hoodman adapters are the cause of my issues (not the SDHC cards), but I don't know why or if there is anything I can do about it. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there anything I can do about it other than just always use the Sonys?

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: Hoodman Adapter locks and unlocks
on Apr 5, 2012 at 3:39:06 pm

Do you have a Sony SxS card that you also use? If not, I'd invest in one. This will problem solve one final issue, your connectors.

If the Sony card has the same issues, it may be you have a bad connection where the cards plug in too. It's worth the extra cash to have piece of mind.

Also, make sure your cameras have all the firmware updates.

Sorry, I've never heard of, or have had this issue.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Apr 5, 2012 at 6:05:45 pm

Are you using the hoodman card in the hoodman adapter? I have been using the hoodman cards and the hoodman adapter for as long as they have been available without a problem. I only use the aftermarket cards for personal non paying jobs. When I use the hoodman or any other non sony card I always have a Sony SXS card in the second slot just in case the aftermarket fails for some reason. One more thing, I never remove the card from the adapter while it is in the camera. I always remove the aftermarket card inside the adapter and replace it in like manner. For some reason I hae never had a Sony or after market adapter/card to fail in many hundreds of hours of shooting with the Ex-1, Ex-1r, EX-3 and Pmw 320.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
http://www.dirtracingvideo.com
http://www.ramtv.tv

Return to posts index

Nels McLaughlin
on Apr 5, 2012 at 6:25:15 pm

Brent:

Yes, I have three Sony cards (2-16 GBs and 1-32 GB) which get most of the work. I usually try to have one Hoodman and one Sony when I shoot and alternate which one I use, cause I don't want to wear out the Sony (not sure that is even possible, but I do it anyways...keeps me sane, more or less). And, yes, the firmware is up to date, too...

If it's the connections inside the camera/on the adapter, then shouldn't the adapter not work all the time? Cause they all (with the exception of one) perform erratically...

Ronnie:

I do have Hoodman cards in Hoodman adapters, but I've even had those lock on me. It really is random when a card will/won't work and it's never (at least that I have found...yet) been from a specific brand of SDHC card. And I agree, I never remove the SDHC from the adapter while connected to the camera - just doesn't seem like the camera would appreciate that.

Thanks for your help with this!

Return to posts index

Marek Bilski
on Apr 6, 2012 at 10:27:53 am

Hi Nels,
In regards to your Hoodman adapters and various brands of memory cards used with your cameras, yes, it is possible that on occasions when you swap different types of memory (which have different pin design/technology) around or other consumer grade brands, that your adapter and memory card occasionally will show lock.

Reason being, is you have 3 different memory cards, 3 different manufacturers, 3 different firmware versions on your memory card and 3 different components used in manufacturing.

We recommend you keep it simple, however, the inconsistent technology used in manufacturing of memory cards have been addressed in our latest adapters, and thus eliminates such unforeseen errors. Unfortunately, we had to understand the variables and re-engineer our adapter in order to address suchissues and accommodate the ever growing and different grades of memory cards.

So, we've addressed and eliminated any such incompatibility with Sony camera's firmware which is ever changing...

If you feel you have concerns, you can contact us directly and we will be happy to help you out.
Regards,
Marek

MxM Express

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]