FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re name SXS card

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Probyn
Re name SXS card
on Mar 31, 2012 at 8:06:12 am

Have cards from the rental place,and want to rename them card 1 card 2 etc.. but cant do that on the Mac.. or find any in camera function PMW500..any idea,s

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
Re: Re name SXS card
on Apr 1, 2012 at 4:34:35 pm

If you re-format them in the camera does the name go away?

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 1, 2012 at 8:16:31 pm

No reformatting doesnt make any difference.. the card name cant be changed..?

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Apr 1, 2012 at 8:43:58 pm

When it shows up as a hard drive on you r desktop you can't just click on it like a regular file and change its name. I don't have one here with me to check it.

Return to posts index

David Wheeler
on Apr 1, 2012 at 11:13:51 pm

PMW500 cameras may be different, but there is no camera function available to name cards individually for EX1/EX3 cameras. Neither can they be named from a computer. You can assigned a global name to all clips on each card, however in the camera menu under "Others" so that the information for each clip will appear in the clip metadata. I always use the same "SxS card in a specific camera and set up the clips to read "EX1R_1" "EX1R_2" "EX3," etc. It helps when viewing the clips in XDCAM Browser, but the cards still appear as "Untitled" on the computer.

David Wheeler
EX1R; EX3; FCP 7; 17" MBP, MacPro Quad, Matrox MSO2,CS5
dave@marcombiz.com

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Apr 2, 2012 at 2:11:16 pm

You can rename the card in Finder (on the desktop, from Get Info etc) just as you would any other removable storage. There are no restrictions on this. Do a Get Info (CMD+I) and make sure there are no permissions issues. Also make sure the write protect tab isn't on (I'm sure you've done this already but just in case..)

Make sure both the latest SxS and UDF drivers are installed and that they were installed in the correct order (Device Driver, then UDF)

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 2, 2012 at 3:09:38 pm

Thanks Ian..

I have only XDCAM brower 2.. with this only I cant rename the cards.. or delete a clip directly from the card.. although that isnt a big deal..

Iam using the PMW500.. with 64GB pro cards.. have to say with Mac book pro,the single card reader and lacie rugged drives (firewire 800) and shotput pro.. the down load is taking for ever.. UDF 50 Mbps 1080/25p.. slower than real time..!! any idea,s

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Apr 2, 2012 at 9:20:40 pm

I delete clips all the time in Clip Browser. Select the the clip in the explorer window and hit delete from the edit menu. follow the prompts.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 5, 2012 at 9:21:17 pm

Hi Ian

Woud this soft ware make down loading any faster.. very slow..longer than real time..? please see post above

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Apr 5, 2012 at 9:31:43 pm

Not really, the XDCAM Browser software will manage the copy but the only options you have for speed are the "Verification on/off" and "Priority in Move = Data Protection/Processing Speed" preferences. Are you going to an external drive, i.e. USB device to USB device? If you just do a drag and drop to the desktop do you see an improvement?

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 5, 2012 at 9:40:19 pm

Hi Ian

Iam using the Sony SBAC US10 card reader.. a mac book pro..to a ext HDD Lacie rugged.. with shot put pro set to data verify fast option..

Camera is PMW500 UDF 1080/25p.. really slow..actually longer than real time.. ? am I doing something wrong here?? down loads all work and no problems.. but incredibly slow.. this might be a reason I wouldnt buy the camera if these down load speeds are longer than shooting.. card reader is a rental and not new.. could that have any bearing..

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Apr 5, 2012 at 9:53:27 pm

Again, try not going fro USB to USB-- any improvement? It may be a bus speed or driver overhead issue on the Mac. Generally we get about 2-2.5x

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 5, 2012 at 10:02:06 pm

Hi Ian

The EXT HDD is firewire.. is that what you mean by not going USB to USB..?

What does that mean bus speed or driver over head issue..? what can I do to check/change this.. the Mac is about 2yrs old..

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Apr 17, 2012 at 2:17:41 am

You can use the XDCAM Transfer utility app to rename the card. When you put the card in the camera, it will ask to do a restore, but the name will stay. I have a dozen or so cards that I do this with and only need to rename if I have to re-initialize in the field, in which case, I'll have a laptop to rename the card with.

This works with Mac OS10.6. Have not attempted with Windows OS or Lion.

• • • • • •

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.8 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite - FC7.0.2 - CS4 Prod Prem.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 17, 2012 at 2:27:04 am

Hi Will

Thanks for your response..

only need to rename if I have to re-initialize in the field

What do you mean by this..I always do a format in the camera after down loading on a laptop..?

Has XDCAM transfer been super seeded by XDCAM browser v2..

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]