FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCam EX and FCP5

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim masi
XDCam EX and FCP5
on Mar 21, 2012 at 2:38:24 pm

I've just started shooting for a new client using my EX3 and he is editing on FCP 5. I'm not an editor and am having trouble advising him on the best way to bring our footage into his editing software. The Clip Browser and Log and Transfer software available at Sony seem to be for more recent versions of FCP. Is there a way for him to ingest our footage into his edtiing system with his current software?
Thank you for any help...
Jim Masi
BearHand Production
Princeton, NJ
Sony EX3
Letus Ultimate/Nikon

Jim Masi
BearHand Production
http://www.bearhand.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: XDCam EX and FCP5
on Mar 21, 2012 at 3:36:49 pm

FCP5 doesn't support the XDCAM EX codec even wrapped as .mov.
It might support Apple ProRes. You'd need to transcode for that.
FCP7 might still be available from Apple by Phone only if at all.
Alternately they'll have to consider updating to FCPX, Avid, Premiere Pro or another current NLE.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Mar 21, 2012 at 3:41:16 pm

Perhaps it too obvious, but if they have a capture card, they can always bring in as base-band video, although this defeats the benefits of file based media and ties up the camera (if used for playback) and cards for an additional amount of time; but might provide a stop gap until they do decide to upgrade their FCP system.

JS

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 21, 2012 at 3:46:13 pm

Yeah wrong editor for XDCAM EX footage- you would need something modern. FCP7, FCPX Avid, Premiere, i.e. anything but FCP 5 which is definitely not capable of dealing with this camera directly.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 21, 2012 at 3:57:10 pm

FCP 5 is very old an only has the XDCAM SD codecs and the 25 Mbps HDV codec. This is the same codec used for EX @ SP 1440; if you happened to shoot in that codec you can rewrap to QT and he can edit. The 35 Mb HQ 1920 codecs were not added until v6. You'd need to convert everything to a format he can use, perhaps DVCProHD or Apple Intermediate. I don't think 5 even has all the ProRes codecs.

Another long shot possibility is perhaps using a recent version of iMovie with the Calibrated Software EX Essentials bundle. But it would have to be iMovie 9 or higher, I believe.

Return to posts index

jim masi
on Mar 22, 2012 at 4:50:05 pm

Thanks very much for the responses.
Jim Masi
BearHand Production

Jim Masi
BearHand Production
http://www.bearhand.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>