FORUMS: list search recent posts

Split clips on one card

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Plenty
Split clips on one card
on Mar 19, 2012 at 12:43:57 pm

Hello, this is probably a question with a simple solution but I can't figure it out.

I regularly film long presentations which involve recording clips of an hour or more. I usually have two cameras on the shoot and use a few different SxS cards which I offload to a laptop as the day goes on through log and transfer in FCP.

For some reason, sometimes these long clips will appear as one file, which is ideal, whereas other times they are split into 13 minute chunks that I then have to piece together. I can't work out what causes them to break up into these smaller chunks as it doesn't seem to relate to one particular memory card or one particular camera.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

David Wheeler
Re: Split clips on one card
on Mar 19, 2012 at 1:11:00 pm

If your clips span separate cards, you may want to change your workflow to using Sony Clip Browser software to ingest the footage on location and later use XDCAM Transfer software to rewrap the files and import them to FCP. You should not have a problem with split clips using Sony's free software.

David Wheeler
EX1R; EX3; FCP 7; 17" MBP, MacPro Quad, Matrox MSO2,CS5
dave@marcombiz.com

Return to posts index

Mike Plenty
on Mar 19, 2012 at 1:16:02 pm

Thanks for the response. When the clips are spanning separate cards I do use Clip Browser to join them together as you suggest.

It's more frustrating when single clips are split across one card. Again I know these can be pieced back together but I'd just like to know why sometimes these files are split into 13 minute chunks and other times there's no problem, can't work out why!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 19, 2012 at 2:00:13 pm

If all clips are available, they will be pieced back together. How that happens may depend on whether you're on Mac or Windows. On Mac wrapping to .mov, XDCAM Transfer will stitch them back together if they are all available. On Windows, Clip Browser will stitch them back together going to .mxf. With XDCAM Browser the behavior is much like Clip Browser on Windows. On Mac this can also work during the import to FCP7 stage where they are wrapped to .mov.

This old tutorial might help.

Importing XDCAM EX MP4 clips without worrying about split and spanned clips...

Return to posts index

colin hickey
on Dec 7, 2014 at 10:18:29 pm

Hi Mike, just wondering if you can help me!

Were you ever able to figure out why they split? The reason I ask is that I'm working on Avid (I shot my film on a Sony EX1). The footage was shot in one long take on one card. When I tried to export it to MXF it had broke into 4 pieces. I'm trying to export it into one MXF file.

I've noticed in the BPAV, if you open it, inside the TAKR folder there is file which is labeled as if the 4 files were joined but you are unable to export anything from this.

Any help would be much appreciated!! I'm pulling my hair out!!!

Return to posts index

Paul Zwicker
on Dec 7, 2014 at 11:59:25 pm

You may want to start a new thread-this one's 2 years old.

Never remove files from or rename BPAV folder-all the data within it in needed together. If you try to open one of the files within the folder, you will get nowhere fast.

Use Sony's XDCam Transfer Software or XDCam Browser software to convert the BPAV folder into useable files.

Not exactly sure why files are split up-they are when you run out of room on one card and the files continue on the 2nd card in the camera.
Good luck.

ZwickFlicks LLC
Wisconsin, US
Sony PMW EX3
MacPro
Final Cut Pro 6.6
http://www.zwickflicks.com

Return to posts index

colin hickey
on Dec 8, 2014 at 2:48:51 pm

Thanks for your help!!!

Return to posts index

Mike Plenty
on Dec 8, 2014 at 10:20:40 am

Hi Colin, we never did figure out what the problem was, but it hasn't been an issue since we switched over to Premiere Pro from Final Cut 7.

Our workflow now is to ingest cards in full using XDCAM Browser, which retains the full BPAV structure from the SxS card. Then the Media Browser panel within Premiere sees these broken up clips as one conjoined clip.

There have been one or two occasions where this hasn't worked and for some reason long takes still show up as separate clips. This doesn't happen often but when it does, we just nest them together in a sequence and then use that sequence as footage.

Hope this helps, sorry can't be more specific!

Return to posts index

colin hickey
on Dec 8, 2014 at 11:04:43 am

Thanks for your help Mike! Much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Wolf Lawrence
on Oct 23, 2015 at 2:26:51 am

what does this mean? please elaborate/clarify...

nest them together in a sequence and then use that sequence as footage.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 19, 2012 at 2:39:36 pm

File spanning on one card occurs when you reach the file size limit of the Fat32 filesystem, which is 4 GB.

If you are rewrapping for FCP using XDCAM Transfer or XDCAM Browser, a spanned clip made up of multiple files will be imported as one clip by default; Transfer also gives you the option of selecting only the individual sub clips (e.g. part 1, part etc) in the LOGGING-->Sub Clips area should you not need to import the entire master clip.

If you are using one of the Browser apps to transcode or rewrap to MXF, the exported file will also consolidate the file portions into one continuous file.

You cannot use the Browser applications to combine multiple .mp4s into an .mp4 over 4 GB. But you should not need to and the clip spanning functionality should not interfere with any of your workflow. Most applications will treat the spanned files as one logical clip.

Return to posts index

Mike Plenty
on Mar 19, 2012 at 2:51:10 pm

To clarify, I've been following the same workflow each time of wrapping to mov from within FCP (rather than through XDCAM Transfer or Clip Browser - both which I have used before and understand they offer more functionality, but do like the convenience of doing everything direct within FCP).

Thinking about it, the problem I'm having must be something to do with how the camera is writing to the SxS card, as when the camera is switched to Media mode, prior to anything being transferred, these long duration clips already show up as either whole clips or split clips (lasting up to 13 mins each).

Could it be something to do with how one of my camera's is formatting the SxS cards? As mentioned it's only sometimes these clips appear in separate chunks.

Thanks all

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 19, 2012 at 3:10:09 pm

If you are using Log and Transfer in FCP7 with the Sony L+T add-on installed, a spanned file that doesn't cross cards should import as one logical clip. Are you getting a mix of combined clips and sub clips? This should not happen. I would check the same assets in XDCAM Transfer even if only as a test.

The manner in which the card is formatted should not make a difference, nor should any other setting or operation on the camcorder, unless you have stumbled across a bug or some strange problem with FCP. The file spanning protocol is not something that can be changed by the user.

As always, if you are able to confirm that there is some strange data issue occurring, make sure everything is up to date and try an All Reset followed by a format of the media on the camcorder.

Return to posts index

Paul Zwicker
on Apr 12, 2012 at 1:11:03 pm

Ian,

I recently suffered a "media needs to be restored" message on a 32 Gb Transcend Class 10 card with a Hoodman adapter.

I was nearly 30 minutes into recording a single clip when the error message occurred. I had to quickly switch to a 2nd card to finish the job. (Shooting 1080/24.)

I powered down, copied the card to hard drive, then put it back in the EX3 and restored the card.
Only the 1st subclip was restored(13 minutes)

From my initial transfer of data to hard drive, 3 subclips show up under the main clip but were unreadable by any Sony software or VLC, or other convertor I had.

I copied the corrupt BPAV folder back to another Transcend card and restored that card. The 1st 2 subclips were restored!
I now had another 13+ minutes of video once again.

I do not think I lost anything in this process. The last subclip did not restore but my timecode showed only 40 seconds missing-most likely the time it took me to react and switch over cards. It is possible that the last(3rd) subclip had a small amount of data on it, but I recovered the majority of the information.

So, what if anything could I have done differently?
(besides using Sony brand cards)?

ZwickFlicks LLC
Wisconsin, US
Sony PMW EX3
MacPro
Final Cut Pro 6.6

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Apr 12, 2012 at 4:52:57 pm

Hi Paul,

It sounds like either firmware or media. Under no normal circumstances should you get a 'restore...' message during recording. In most cases it's a problem with the physical media and it seems to only happen with SD cards. Check your fw version and if necessary we can provide an update. Glad this had a happy ending, though. The bit that was lost was maybe whatever was in the internal record buffer plus whatever you missed switching slots. (Under normal circumstances you can cross cards without losing a frame, as I'm sure you are aware..)

Relieved,

Ian

Return to posts index

Paul Zwicker
on Apr 13, 2012 at 11:12:47 am

Thanks for the reply Ian.
I'll check my firmware and do some more testing.
Paul

ZwickFlicks LLC
Wisconsin, US
Sony PMW EX3
MacPro
Final Cut Pro 6.6

Return to posts index

David Zlutnick
on Dec 5, 2013 at 11:48:03 pm

Hey there Mike-

I'm having the same problem with my EX1r and went looking for help online. Haven't found any yet but did stumble across your post. Doesn't seem like anyone ever fully addressed your question. Did you ever figure out what the issue was and how to resolve it? Please let me know if you did. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mike Plenty
on Dec 6, 2013 at 10:23:32 am

Hi David

Wow it's a while since this issue was top of mind!

I've long since moved over to Adobe CC and now ingest all footage through XDCAM Browser (or sometimes Prelude). This just copies over the footage in its native format, keeping the BPAV structure, and when looking at this folder in the Media Browser panel within Premiere Pro, all clips are joined together no matter how many separate files they have been split into within the BPAV. I've had other problems but this is no longer an issue for me!

Sadly I don't think we ever did resolve the issue within FCP. We were using FCP 6 at the time and I haven't used FCP X so I'm not sure if that's any different.

Good luck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]