FORUMS: list search recent posts

Two different SONY EX3s do not match in contrast or saturation, LCD screens do not match either

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
laura meoli
Two different SONY EX3s do not match in contrast or saturation, LCD screens do not match either
on Mar 13, 2012 at 6:54:59 pm

I have two SONY EX3s and have been noticing a lot of issues with exposure lately, after setting them both to the same LCD brightness and contrast settings. So I set them both separately according to the Color Bars calibration for the screen, and now I see that they are on completely different brightness levels (Camera 1 LCD brightness is at the 5oclock position, and Camera 2 is at the 1oclock position). Is that okay?

More importantly, once I calibrated the LCD screens individually, I took a test shot of the same scene, and noticed that the saturation and contrast are very different. Here is a screen grab of the difference:

Is this normal? I hate the image the first camera produces. I looked in the settings on both cameras and they are the same, also color temp is the same. Shouldn't both cameras produce the same image?

Thank you in advance for any advice or info you can provide.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Two different SONY EX3s do not match in contrast or saturation, LCD screens do not match either
on Mar 13, 2012 at 8:15:18 pm

First of all, I would not waste my time trying to figure out why they're generating different looking pictures. That would be very time consuming and frustrating. Going on the premise that the 2 cameras are the same, and they have the exact same firmware version, I would go to the OTHERS menu and choose RESET ALL. See if that defaults everything back to factory settings. If you have any custom picture profile settings you want to keep then you should copy them to one of your media cards before proceeding with the reset for each camera. The instructions on how to copy settings to your media card(s) is outlined in the operators manual.

See if this solves your issue.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Two different SONY EX3s do not match in contrast or saturation, LCD screens do not match either
on Mar 14, 2012 at 12:09:38 am

Yeah unfortunately at this price point there's no guarantee two cameras are going to have perfectly matching images/LCD screens out of the box. That said, with a good monitor including a Waveform/Vectorscope you should be able to calibrate them pretty closely to match. And if you can't perhaps one camera has a repairable issue.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Mar 14, 2012 at 12:19:49 am

Do you have the exact same camera profile loaded into both camcorders?

Bob

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Mar 14, 2012 at 12:27:10 am

Laura,

Check the GAMMA setting in the PP menu. It sounds like one is on 709 and the other is in one of the CINE settings; this would account for differences in brightness and saturation.

JS

Return to posts index

laura meoli
on Mar 15, 2012 at 4:29:02 pm

Hey everyone

Thanks for the helpful replies. It's all fixed now. I found that someone who previously used the camera had a pro-mist filter on one of the lenses. I also loaded the same profile onto both cameras, and now they are very close.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]