FORUMS: list search recent posts

b camera for F3?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Spangenberg
b camera for F3?
on Mar 13, 2012 at 2:33:32 am

I've been giving consideration to using FS100's as B cameras to a F3 given similar chip and focal lengths. I think they should cut well together.

However, the FS100 only has 8 bit 4:2:2 out of HDMI compared the the EX3's 10 bit out at 4:2:2 from SDHI. Both outputs going to nanoflash.

Seems the EX3 would hold up in post better and have better color renditions and grading. And, I do not know broadcast standards regarding 8 vs 10 bit. In any case, all of them would be recorded above 50 mps.

What are your impressions of the best B camera for the F3, and what would be acceptable for broadcast?

Thanks,

Rick

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: b camera for F3?
on Mar 13, 2012 at 3:58:50 am

Richard,

The best B Cam for F3 is another F3. This is always the best choice, a duplicate of the main camera. In some cases of course, budget dictates otherwise, if that's the case, your choice of the FS-NEX100 makes more sense than any other camera. If you're careful with the exposure and engineer the cameras to match, the 8 bit/ 10 bit won't matter, in this case especially so, because the NanoFlash is only an 8 bit device anyway!

For my dollar, I'd rather shoot two F3's onto the internal cards at 35Hb that one F3 and a NEX100 onto two Nano's. I use the F3's and internal recording for network broadacst all the time.

JS

Return to posts index

Richard Spangenberg
on Mar 13, 2012 at 1:35:52 pm

Best B camera is another F3 makes a lot of sense. However, I was looking for something that was better for gun and run and handheld as a B. So I did not define it very well for you.

I am checking with convergent design on the 8bit. Did not know it. I know the processor chip in it is 8 bit but didn't know max recording was 8 bit. Their doc looks like there are various bit rates for recording. So, I'll ask em and see if they plan an upgrade. I believe their genesis product will handle 10 bit for sure and their are other recorders that will.

Still your comments make sense to me. Out of curiosity, what lenses are you using on the F3, have been reading about them. Mixed reviews on the Sony's and I'd love a set of Cooke Panchros but you can't get them or afford them. I have a pile of old Nikkon lenses I was considering redoing for cine.

Rk

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Mar 13, 2012 at 3:10:42 pm

Richard,

The F3 can be made into a run-and-gun camera configuration with the proper accessories; such as Element Technical Shoulder Mount Kit, Hand-Held Handles mounted on LWS rods, Abel Cine VF Mod and Sony HDVF20A Viewfinder, Anton Bauer Matrix Battery Mount, etc.

The lenses for this camera and the NX100 as well are the critical and difficult part, especially for hand held. Still lenses, by virtue of the small size and short range of focus arc are less than ideal. I use a Zeiss 15.5-45 LWZ for handheld, it's a proper focal range and weights just 4.5 lbs. Other lenses I use on the F3 are the Alura 18-80 and 45-250 as well as the Angenieux 24-290. All these lenses require serious 15 or 19mm Studio Support and accessories including a tripod capable of carrying such weight.

JS

Return to posts index

Richard Spangenberg
on Mar 13, 2012 at 7:54:47 pm

Just to update this thread... Convergent Design confirms that the Nanoflash is indeed an 8-bit recorder. But, a very good one. The two extra bits on the EX1 and EX3 are not missed much in that they are noisy anyway.

They recommended that the best B camera for an F3 is another F3 just as you recommended. But, if I were to use the FS-100, to not use the S-Log on the F3 so the two cameras could be matched to each other better. They too thought than other than another F3, the FS100 would be the best other match as a B camera and that the nanoflash was the perfect recorder for it. Again, not running the FS100 very flat to require a lot of adjustment in post.

They commended your recommendations. And, I love your lens choices.

Rk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]