FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1r zoom control not smooth.

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hal Beery
EX1r zoom control not smooth.
on Mar 8, 2012 at 11:40:16 am

Whether I'm using my Beebob controller on the pan/tilt arm or going direct with the zoom control on the side hand grip, the zoom does not perform as I've always expected on sony gear. There is a hesitation before it proceeds on super slow touches. If I completely engage the control device to zoom from the start and not try to feather it, there is no hesitation or distortion in movement. BUT Ive always been able to feather the zooms to suit the shot.
Feedback please!
Thanks,
Hal

Return to posts index

Alan Smith
Re: EX1r zoom control not smooth.
on Mar 8, 2012 at 3:44:47 pm

If you google it, you'll find a lot of people having the same problem. I called and talked with a rep from Sony just about a week ago on this very same issue. We've been so frustrated with our 2 ex-1s and an ex-3. All have the stuttering zoom. I was told that they put so much effort in the lens that they had to compromise on the zoom control to keep it affordable. It was designed to be this way. We are considering whether to sell them and move over to JVC. The Sony ex1/ex3 are great cameras but if I can't smoothly zoom, it's almost useless in our type of work.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 8, 2012 at 11:06:22 pm

I'm puzzled by what you say because only yesterday I was on a shoot and filming a musician playing a cello and I could pull out very slowly indeed from a tight c/u. There was no stutter at all but I did have to be careful to apply the lightest of touches to the large zoom lever on the right side of the camera. Maybe the problem is not on all EX cameras, mine is an early EX 1, with firmware updated two weeks ago.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Mar 9, 2012 at 1:17:50 am

I have six EX-1 and have not noticed this problem on any of them. I use a tripod handle remote zoom most of the time but also shoot without it. I tested the NX70U NXCAM and absolutely had problems with the zoom. It did not work correctly. I have not had the same problem with any EX1r. I REALLY find it hard to believe that anyone from Sony would tell you that the product was designed that way.

Return to posts index

Alan Smith
on Mar 9, 2012 at 1:43:23 am

Just to clarify, I have the 2 of the ex-1r cameras and 1 ex-3. The reps name at Sony is Lou that I talked with in the professional video division. I still have his phone # and extension if someone wants to check me on it. I also asked him about trading up to the 350 to get a better zoom rocker, he said it was made with the same zoom mechanisms as the ex1r/ex3. I'm glad you guys haven't had the same issues, if any of you are interested in trading cameras, talk to me..:) Like I said, I love a lot of things about the ex1r/ex3, but the non-ability to do a crawl in/out has been tough.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:12:18 am

This was all hashed out 2.5 years ago on this very forum. It's now generally accepted that any zoom speed of 10 or less is not considered a fixable problem by Sony. This goes for the EX1, EX1R and EX3 today. This was not the case when the first EX1's started shipping at the very end of 2007. Back then Sony was fixing the lenses under warranty. Some lucky EX owners initially had cameras without the stuttering zoom below 10 and some were not so fortunate.

More in the thread below:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/866663#866706

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Mar 10, 2012 at 11:51:26 pm

Just to clarify, I have this problem with the rocker control on the EX1 lens, not the button on the top of the camera handle. The zoom stutters when trying to do a slow push. I have an external control from my Canon pro lens, but I need to purchase an adapter to use it. BTW, this can happen on very expensive lenses too.

Bob

Return to posts index

Hal Beery
on Mar 17, 2012 at 8:16:19 am

Thanks to ALL.

WTF!!!!

Hal

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Mar 30, 2012 at 1:01:44 pm

I just ordered an adapter cable for my Canon lens zoom controller. I hope that will let me control the lens much better when on a tripod.

Bob

Return to posts index

Alan Smith
on Apr 2, 2012 at 5:15:37 pm

Hi Bob,
Please let us know what your results are. I ordered 2 different zoom controllers but neither fixed it for us. Best of luck!

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Apr 3, 2012 at 12:07:23 am

Hello Alan. I got the adapter cable today and it works great!

First, let me say that I have the VariZoom pro Canon zoom controller that I used on my Betacam.

I bought a JonyJib adapter cable to use it with the EX1. Here is what I have:

http://www.varizoom.com/product.aspx?productID=VZPROC&category=Canon%20Broa... (mine is an older model).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/612232-REG/Jony_A_EX8C_ADAPTER_A_EX8C...

The cable has a right angle bend that I thought would run downward, but it runs upward.

Anyway, now I can do smooth creep zooms, I can control the maximum zoom speed, I can do smooth variable speed zooms, I can start and stop record and I can play back the last clip! As the Brits say, "it works a treat!"

Varizoom makes an EX1 zoom control, but I have not tried it.
http://www.varizoom.com/products.aspx?category=Sony%20EX&subcategory=Lens%2...

Good luck.

Bob

Return to posts index

Alan Smith
on Apr 5, 2012 at 5:05:27 pm

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the info! We did try out a varizoom controller but with no luck. It's not the one you have linked to though. We tried the VZ-PG-EX which seems to resemble that one. Anyway, thanks so much, I will check into it, never thought of a Canon pro controller with an adapter. If it works for me, I'll report back.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Apr 5, 2012 at 10:34:43 pm

I'm not sure about other controllers, but my setup rocks. Reminds me of my old days in the studio, pushing big rigs around. This control system is that smooth. Good luck getting something suitable Alan.

Bob

Return to posts index

Hal Beery
on Apr 6, 2012 at 5:32:22 am

Bob,
Have you gotten any feedback from EX1r users? Do you think it will work the same for that model as your EX1? If so, I'm getting your rig. This is painful. Lousy zooms are inexcusable.

Hal

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Apr 6, 2012 at 2:34:24 pm

No Hal, I don't know about the EX1r. I would check with Sony about that. I am surprised that the Varizoom model made for the EX1 does not seem to work for some folks.

[Hal Beery] "Bob,
Have you gotten any feedback from EX1r users? Do you think it will work the same for that model as your EX1? If so, I'm getting your rig. This is painful. Lousy zooms are inexcusable.

Hal"

Bob

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Apr 6, 2012 at 2:33:06 pm

[Alan Smith] "We did try out a varizoom controller but with no luck. It's not the one you have linked to though. We tried the VZ-PG-EX which seems to resemble that one."

Alan, did not work at all, or did it work, but the zoom was still sticky?
In looking at the VZ-PG-EX, it looks like mine except mine is silver (wish it was black). What about the VZPROEX http://www.varizoom.com/product.aspx?productID=VZPROEX

Bob

Return to posts index

Alan Smith
on Apr 6, 2012 at 3:42:40 pm

Hi Bob,

The VZ-PG-EX worked but was just as sticky on zooming as not having it on there. Haven't tried the VZPROEX, but what I do remember is asking them to send their best zoom controller because I wanted the camera to have professional zooming capabilities and would pay more on a controller to get it. That's when they sent me the VZ-PG-EX. When did you get your EX1? Like Don was saying and from what I've been reading, some of the earlier cameras either didn't have the issue or was able to get repaired.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Apr 6, 2012 at 3:59:57 pm

[Alan Smith] "The VZ-PG-EX worked but was just as sticky on zooming as not having it on there."

OK. That leads me to believe it's the lens, not the rocker or controller.
Have you tried contacting Fujinon? I guess they would tell you to talk to Sony. I have one of the early EX1 models. It came with firmware 1.05.
I am now on firmware 1.26. I can only imagine how frustrating this is to you.

Bob

Return to posts index

Alan Smith
on Apr 6, 2012 at 7:28:29 pm

Hi Bob,

Yeah, and that's what the Sony guy (Lou) said as well, that the lens was designed that way so I'm not really hopeful any controller will get rid of the stutter. I was told that I could put a new lens on the ex3 we have, but the lens is about as much as the camera if not more, and that doesn't fix the ex-1s. He left a message on my voicemail saying that I could expect the same issues with the next camera model up,the 320 (I had asked about trading up to another camera). It's been quite the experience, stunning actually, never expected this from a sony pro product. Anyway, I really do appreciate your input and help!

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Apr 6, 2012 at 10:26:38 pm

That really is not an acceptable response from Sony, Alan. I would also contact Fujinon and tell them about this issue and Sony's response to you. I'm afraid I would have told the Sony guy that that was total BS. I can't imagine anyone using the higher priced shoulder mount camcorders accepting this either. Tell him that when they advertise the EX series they need to say "don't expect the zoom to work properly." I hope you find a remedy Alan.

Bob

Return to posts index

Misbah Mahfujur
on Dec 19, 2014 at 3:59:40 pm

How do I find out my zoom setting. Eg. Speed

Return to posts index

Mark Morgan
on Apr 3, 2012 at 7:08:17 pm

I have two EX-3's with the same problem, for over two years now, both have been back to Sony, one of the lenses was replaced, still cannot do a slow zoom on either camera with out multiple hesitations in the zoom.

Talked to my Sony rep again just a few minutes ago, when he called to ask if I was attending NAB, I'm not, he then asked if there was anything else he could do, told him was still having the zoom problem, his reply "that's the way it is with that camera"

Stay Away from the EX-3 and it's stock lens, it's a great camera except for the s lens, think twice if you think Sony will support you as a customer.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Apr 6, 2012 at 5:08:35 pm

That's a lousy response from Sony. I remember trying to get a Sony tech on the phone at Teaneck, NJ. I wound up giving up.

Bob

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Apr 24, 2012 at 2:52:05 am

A few days ago I was on a shoot with the EX1R and experienced the zoom stutter as well. I was shooting hand held and only used the rocker arm zoom control. I'm going to contact Sony as well.

By the way: someone posted that a Sony rep told them the zoom on the PMW-320 does the same thing. That's not true with my 320. That camera's zoom works fine on the unit I have.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]