problems with Sony HVR-Z5 and fluorescent lights

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ewan Horlock
problems with Sony HVR-Z5 and fluorescent lights
on Mar 5, 2012 at 12:50:11 pm

Hi there,

Not too sure if this is the correct section but here goes

Basically I have been experimenting with the Sony Z5 under fluorescent lights and I was wandering if someone could help.

I have read a few articles on rolling shutters and it seems that just setting the cameras shutter speed to 1/50th to match the 50hz power on the light source dos not always work.

The camera has an extended clear scan function..however it recommends using this for CRT monitors.

Another source said that you can match the lights refresh rate on global shutters (CCD) however with rolling shutters it is just not possible. The best thing to do is turn off the lights and light it yourself.

Should I use the extended clear scan function and not bother with trying to change the shutter to 1/50th or 1/60th.

any help would be much appreciated! :)

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: problems with Sony HVR-Z5 and fluorescent lights
on Mar 5, 2012 at 10:59:36 pm

The quickest way to fix this is to turn off all automatic features your camera has that deals with or tries to "fix" mains mismatches between your camera and the lighting. Fluorescents are the worst for this. Then simply start increasing your camera's shutter speed until the rolling effect disappears. I don't mean in multiples of 50 Hz, either. Just small increments will make a difference. This also works for computer screens.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Ewan Horlock
on Mar 16, 2012 at 12:17:31 pm

Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply!

I have turned off the cameras auto "anti ficker" function in the menu. I also set the shutter to 1/50th .... which seemed to work!

Obviously this was trying to anticipate the flicker but instead made it worse.

Just out of interest ... is extended clear scan only for CRT monitors? or is it also for conditions with fluorescent light?

Ewan

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 16, 2012 at 11:10:41 pm

Clear scan is there for CRT and LCD flat screen monitors only. On my Sony cameras I leave clear scan disabled all the time because (at least on my EX1R and EX3) it will even affect the outside recordings with a flickering/rolling picture issue for the first few seconds. This may not be true for all Sonys with a clear scan option. The best solution is to fix any picture flicker manually instead of leaving it up to the camera.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Ewan Horlock
on Mar 17, 2012 at 11:48:30 am

Ok great thanks

That's true..on the Z5 it seems like you have to actually enable the extended clear scan function when you select the shutter speed (you then set the hz in the main menu). So hopefully that means it's not on all the time!

I have disable the anti flicker mode.. So other than that hopefully there is nothing else on the camera that will try to interfere.

Last question... I read a few articles and it said that setting your shutter speed to sync with fluorescent lights was only possible with a global shutter and not rolling but this seems to work?

In terms of actual shutter speeds I seem to have more luck with slower speeds .. Anything more than a 100th and I can see that orange colour shift

Thanks for your help so far :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]