FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 for Green screen shoot

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
EX1 for Green screen shoot
on Mar 1, 2012 at 4:20:27 pm

Hi all, I'm wondering if any of you have shot green screen footage with the EX1 Camera. I'm trying to make a decision as to if I can use my EX1 to shoot in a very well lit green screen studio, or if I should seek another camera option. I realize that I could use a nano flash or a KiPro, however I'd rather not go though the rental process. I just don't have the time for rental pickup and return, sine the rental facilities are not close by.

If the studio is very well lit (it's always lit for their green screen) will the EX1 work? The shoot is going to be a fake newscaster in front of a virtual set, and also some fake interviews using other location backdrops.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX1 for Green screen shoot
on Mar 1, 2012 at 9:32:09 pm

I've done a number of EX1 green screen shoots. Shoot Progressive (1080p30) and you'll have enough to do very clean keys.

Return to posts index

David Wheeler
Re: EX1 for Green screen shoot
on Mar 2, 2012 at 3:03:47 am

I agree with Craig. I've shot a number of green screen projects for corporate clients with EX1/EX1R/EX3 cameras and I've had no problem pulling good keys. As you suggest, good lighting is important with separate flat, even lighting on the green screen. I always keep the subject 8-10 feet from the screen and use minus green gels on the kicker lights aimed at the back of the subject. I'm not sure that the minus green gels are that effective after reading other posts, but they are part of my dedicated green screen studio setup. Of course, blond hair and reflections on props, etc., will present problems, but you can matte those problems out in post if needed. Bottom line is that 4.2.0 with EX cameras work well for me.

David Wheeler
EX1R; EX3; FCP 7; 17" MBP, MacPro Quad, Matrox MSO2,CS5
dave@marcombiz.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]