Log and Transfer vs Pro Res compressor

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Damo Jones
Log and Transfer vs Pro Res compressor
on Mar 1, 2012 at 12:55:42 am

Hi Guys,

Ive just started using me EX1r....

And im wondering to maintain the best quality in my workflow, would it be best to simply log and transfer my clips off the card directly into final cut pro? Or would it be best to transfer the clips to pro res in compressor, and then bring them into final cut pro?

Would appreciate any knowlege here...

Thanks guys

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Log and Transfer vs Pro Res compressor
on Mar 1, 2012 at 5:57:00 am

Personally, I drop the XDCAM EX files into a ProRes timeline then edit, render and export. You can get Compressor to convert the files before you start editing if you wish. Compressor is faster than doing the same thing in a timeline in FCP but then you have to convert all the files, instead of converting just what you need at the end of the edit.

Converting in Compressor gives you more control over the cross/down conversion process if you have to do things like de-interlace or go to a smaller frame size, but all things being equal, you won't see much of a quality difference under normal circumstances. What flavour of ProRes you use will depend on what the end product is for and how much manipulation you have to do to the media.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

David Wheeler
on Mar 2, 2012 at 3:23:59 am

I don't understand the need to take XDCAM EX footage to ProRes at any time. You can edit XDCAM EX natively in FCP, render and export to a .mov file with the same settings and then use Compressor or Squeeze to compress to the files your clients need. I used to export edited files to ProRes as "master" files, but the only difference I saw was MUCH bigger file sizes with no increase in quality.

David Wheeler
EX1R; EX3; FCP 7; 17" MBP, MacPro Quad, Matrox MSO2,CS5
dave@marcombiz.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 2, 2012 at 3:43:55 am

[David Wheeler] "I don't understand the need to take XDCAM EX footage to ProRes at any time."

Quality is only one segment of the equation. If you have a machine with slower processors but more storage ProRes is much easier to edit with because it's an I-frame codec. If you have a fast machine but limited storage then by all means edit in an XDCAM sequence. It takes considerably more horsepower to edit multiple video tracks of Long GOP than ProRes.

That's why I record to an outboard KiPro Mini in addition to the SxS Pro cards. Now I have the best of both scenarios: superior quality and ease of editing.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

David Wheeler
on Mar 2, 2012 at 5:08:38 pm

I great workflow if you can bring the footage in originally as ProRes 422.

David Wheeler
EX1R; EX3; FCP 7; 17" MBP, MacPro Quad, Matrox MSO2,CS5
dave@marcombiz.com

Return to posts index

Damo Jones
on Mar 4, 2012 at 11:13:00 pm

And to bring the footage dircectly in as ProRes, does this just mean i can 'log and transfer' directly of a EX1R card?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 5, 2012 at 2:56:57 am

[Damo Jones] "does this just mean i can 'log and transfer' directly of a EX1R card?"

Yes, as long as you have the XDCAM Log and Transfer plugin for Final Cut Pro 7.0.3 installed. This will allow you to change the target format to one of the various flavours of ProRes as the clips are being imported.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Damo Jones
on Mar 5, 2012 at 6:05:41 am

Ok, thanks for your help. I just tried looking at what version of final cut pro i have, and it says it's 7.0 and then i looked at the log and transfer icon and it had 1.2 on the end of it.

Are these alright do you think?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 5, 2012 at 8:10:05 am

Most likely that will be fine. Just give it a go and when you have a chance do a software update of FCP and go to v.7.0.3. Version 1.2 of Log and Transfer is the latest for that pice of software.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Vander Furff
on Jan 13, 2013 at 8:55:11 pm

Good evening,

I realize this is an older thread, but just wanted to inquire about bringing media into FCP 7.

I have ACVHD files from a dual Sony A99 shoot that were run through Clipwrap 2, and then transcoded via Magic Bullet Grinder (Rationale behind use of MB Grinder was the dual output capacity for transcoding) to both conform frame rates to 23.976 (shot a bit at 60fps and plays back slow mo now perfectly) and create both standard Pro Rez 422 and 422 proxy files.

So, I now have four files sets: original media, clipwrapped media, proxy media, and high quality media.

So, everything is fine and conformed properly, but would like to confirm the next steps, because I've never edited with proxy media before.

1. Should everything get ingested through log and transfer, or is it okay to simply import my transcoded and tested proxy files directly into specific bins?
2. Is it sufficient to just import the proxy files into the project, ie will they point back to the higher quality standard 422 files automatically?
3. Easy set-up settings don't matter, right, since I'm not pulling media from a machine?
4, What should my sequence settings for this sort of thing? All media coming into the projet is pre-conformed to Pro Rez 422 (or proxy) at 1920 x 1080/ 23.976fps.

Is there a reason why, within sequence settings, FCP 7 doesn't have full and correct file type, rez and fps settings avail?

Got to get this piece pulled together in the next two days, with effects, so just want to be careful to do it right the first time:)

Any thoughts appreciated and welcome.

Many thanks,

VANDY

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 13, 2013 at 9:50:11 pm

Hi,

Please view the tutorial listed below and if you still have questions about offline-online workflow I'm sure one of us will be able to help you.

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless_online/1

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Vander Furff
on Jan 14, 2013 at 10:05:09 pm

Thank you very much for your timely reply, and this is an excellent tutorial.

Having followed all the steps, though, I'm still having trouble logging and transferring the already transcoded footage. The only way I seem to be able to get it into the system is by direct import. As long as basic issues like conflicting file names are addressed, can you tell me what the downside of this might be? The errors I'm getting upon use of log and transfer regard file structure, but the file structure of unchanged prior to transcode to 422 mov from mts files.

Thanks again for your time and insightS.

Best,

VANDY

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 14, 2013 at 11:41:09 pm

I'm not quite sure I understand your latest question but here goes.

The Sony Alpha SLT-A99 release date was at the beginning of September 2012. Development on the legacy Final Cut Pro 7 was halted at least 2 years before that. It may very well be that FCP doesn't quite understand the Sony A99 naming convention or its AVCHD clip wrapper and this is where you start to see transfer errors in the meta-data.

Rather than going through FCP's log and transfer, if you're able to simply select all your converted A99 AVCHD files and import them into a FCP bin there shouldn't be any problem doing it that way. Once you bring the transcoded files into FCP any meta-data that was successfully transferred along with the clips will stay with those clips throughout the editing process.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Vander Furff
on Jan 15, 2013 at 1:46:55 am

Don,

This response is very helpful.

Might have been confusing, my reference to file names. To clarify, the shooters delivered files from separate A99's which defaulted to the same file names. Would typically handle that during L & T, but in this case have done so offline.

You may be onto the problem with the AVCHD wrapper. Certainly makes sense, given the FCP 7 reaction. One puzzler is that we also had some D7000 footage that wouldn't transcode, either. An older camera, obviously, but regardless everything is flowing now. Good to hear your thoughts on bringing transcoded footage into the project via only import. Wasn't sure if there was something I was missing so it's a reassurance.

Btw I upgraded to Mountain Lion just prior to these problems, and am seeing some feedback that FCP 7 plug-ins don't always play nice with Mnt Lion.

Off to go play with Plural Eyes 3.

Thanks once again for your time,

VANDY

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]