FORUMS: list search recent posts

picture profile Suggestions

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
segun olorunnisomo
picture profile Suggestions
on Feb 26, 2012 at 10:28:06 pm

HELLO, i wonder if anyone has any nice picture profile suggestions to share. i shoot mainly outdoors and sometimes have problems with the picture quality, the images appear too bright when viewed on the computer or the Monitor but when shooting the image too very fine on the LCD viewfinder on the camera. i need advice

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: picture profile Suggestions
on Feb 26, 2012 at 11:30:55 pm

Do you use the ND filters? The Zebra function? Maybe you could buy a hood for the LCD as well.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Feb 27, 2012 at 11:41:32 am

Segun,this is the most contentious issue that there is - there are more PP suggestions around than cameras. Take a look at the Vortex Media DVD where Doug Jensen covers PP's very well and provides suggestions. I'm surprised that you find your pictures as you do because in the default settings, Sony have deliberately provided a fairly neutral flat picture to allow for colour grading in post. The suggestions in another post seem sensible, but you need PP's. If you can't view the video I mention, take a look at the site of Alister Chapman who is a Sony expert consultant, and who knows these cameras backwards. I think he suggests all manner of Picture Profiles which will probably confuse the hell out of you!

Don't dispair, you can obtain any type of picture you require with the right settings and correct use of the camera.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Feb 27, 2012 at 7:19:32 pm

Goto http://marvelsfilm.wordpress.com/2009/02/18/marvels-ex1-and-ex3-profile-set...

I have been using this profile for a long time and it works great. It tones down the blown out whites and gives a very good overall look without being to saturated. I saved it to 4 different profiles and then just changed the white balance for each one to outdoor, indoor, cloudy and shade. That way I can quickly change to the correct white balance by changing the profile. I still do manual white balance if the lighting is mixed but have had great luck with this.

ronpesteshdvideo.com
Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro
Dell M6600
New convert to Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium

Return to posts index

segun olorunnisomo
on Feb 27, 2012 at 11:35:03 pm

Thank you all for your advice, i will take each suggestion and work with them to see the final outcome. you guys are the greatest

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Feb 28, 2012 at 10:15:57 am

No, we're not. The big guys haven't intervened! Names like Alister Chapman and Philip Bloom are the ones to follow with these cameras, they both have sites I believe. Also, I repeat, Doug Jensen on the Vortex Media DVD, but some might regard that as rather simplified.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 28, 2012 at 10:49:19 pm

[Michael Slowe] "Names like Alister Chapman and Philip Bloom are the ones to follow with these cameras"

Why is it that the really smart ones are always in the UK? It's like another British Invasion like back in the 60's. Even my previous FCP/Motion teacher escaped back to the UK and is now in league with Rick Young from MacVideo. I feel like such a video shmuck out here on the talent-starved wilds of the Canadian west coast.

@Segun Olorunnisomo (cool name) Michael is right about the famous Doug Jensen: his picture profiles are to get you started. If you want an example of more in-depth profiles go to Alister's site:

http://www.xdcam-user.com/?s=picture+profiles

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Feb 29, 2012 at 11:28:27 am

No Don, we like Canadians, they're our real cousins! Actually I was going to include your name with the other two as being experts with the EX cameras but couldn't put my finger on it immediately. In fact Doug Jennsen is from your continent so not all the knowledge is concentrated in Europe.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Keith Clark
on Feb 29, 2012 at 7:57:50 pm

I have 5 profiles I will share from the guys at ABLE Cine.
Here is my email, keithclarkprod@gmail.com get back to me and I will be happy to get them to you!
Keith

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]