FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX!R Audio Settings

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Longfield
EX!R Audio Settings
on Feb 25, 2012 at 3:01:36 am

Recently purchased an EX!R and took it into the field to record an event in a nightclub, (loud but not distorted music). The EX1R was just there for testing and was not the main cam. So I left the audio on the default settings and used the cam mic on one channel and an external mic on the other, (Sennheiser ME-66). I set the levels manually, but did not enter the audio menu, which was on the default settings. The audio was not the greatest but acceptable if I turned the levels down enough. However when the MC spoke into the his mic, louder than the music was playing, the levels recorded by the EX!R were distorted.

My question: I'd like to take the cam out again in a similar situation, but would like to have some audio menu settings as a starting off point this time instead of using the default settings. Cam mic on one channel and Sennheiser ME-66 on the other. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: EX!R Audio Settings
on Feb 25, 2012 at 12:17:18 pm

As you will surely know, you can only access the Audio Input level settings in the Audio menu, when the mic switches on the back of the camera are set to Manual. Then I set mine as follows: Ch-1 (for my on camera Sony mic -41dBu and Ch-2 (for the ME-66 off camera) -47dBu. However, I'm ashamed to say, I do most of my shooting with the mics set to Auto as I find with documentary 'run & gun', there is quite enough to do adjusting focus and aperture without worrying about manual audio levels.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ilya Spektor
on Feb 25, 2012 at 12:57:38 pm

In Manual Audio mode for the best quality Gain should stay between 5 and 6, use Trim in Audio menu to adjust the levels, so there is no distortion. Good Luck!

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Feb 25, 2012 at 8:04:27 pm

Thanks Michael & Ilya for the feedback. I'll try out your suggestions next time i take the EX1R out in the field.

Return to posts index

Jay Curlee
on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:00:10 pm

I have the first generation EX-1. When I am shooting in a loud rock music environment I have a very hard time with the camera mic distorting. I have tried auto and have tried manual with the levels set as low as -30 and I still get distortion (the classic over modulated sound). Does this sound like a mic problem or did I not throw a switch somewhere?

Best, Jay

Jay Curlee

JC Communications
Makers of Rocking the Boat: A Musical Conversation and Journey
http://www.rockingtheboatmovie.com

Return to posts index

Ilya Spektor
on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:27:40 pm

In Manual audio mode you have to go to Audio Menu and Trim Level from default -41db down to -35db or even lower to -29db or so... Gain should be between 5 and 6...

Return to posts index

Jay Curlee
on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:34:22 pm

Sorry for the double post. can't seem to delete this.

I have the first generation EX-1. When I am shooting in a loud rock music environment I have a very hard time with the internal camera mic sound distorting. I have tried auto and have tried manual with the levels set as low as -30 and I still get distortion (the classic over modulated sound). Does this sound like a mic problem or did I not throw a switch somewhere?

Jay Curlee

JC Communications
Makers of Rocking the Boat: A Musical Conversation and Journey
http://www.rockingtheboatmovie.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]