FORUMS: list search recent posts

SxS back-up to Professional Disc

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Johnson
SxS back-up to Professional Disc
on Feb 13, 2012 at 4:12:02 pm

I'm trying to find a one-step way to backup media from our SxS cards to Professional Disc. Using XDCAM Transfer (just upgraded to 2.0) I can select clips and drag them to the User Data folder on my disc; this works fine. I can select all the clips on a card in an Explorer window and drag them to my User Data folder.
Using Copy All I can copy the entire contents of a card to a specified location on my computer. However, if I check to "specify destination" for Copy All, I am not able to select the User Data folder (or a new folder within). Is this not possible or do I have something going on? It seems silly that to do a full backup of a card I need to first use Copy All to a hard drive and then transfer that to the disc.

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: SxS back-up to Professional Disc
on Feb 13, 2012 at 4:39:52 pm

Hi Mike-

This is possible. In the 'Edit' tab of the Preferences, set the 'Copy All' location to the User Data folder on the XDCAM disc (for example G:User Data). Un-check the 'Specify Folder When Copying All' box. After doing this you'll be allowed to proceed when you right click on a card and select 'Copy All.' As long as the XDCAM Drive always has the same drive letter (or is updated as needed in the preferences) this will work.

Best,

Ian

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Services

Return to posts index

Mike Johnson
on Feb 13, 2012 at 5:03:55 pm

Ian,

Thanks for the reply. I had read in the past that when archiving cards to the User folder that it was a best practice to make sub-folders that the BPAV folder would live in. If I have the destination folder set to the top level of User will I run the risk of overwriting data that is already there or would it simply get added to one "master" BPAV folder.

Does this make sense?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Feb 13, 2012 at 5:15:23 pm

Browser will automatically put each BPAV into a sub folder named after the date and time when the copy was made, eg '201202131200..'

You can also manually create a sub folder in User Data called 'Cards' or 'SxS' (or anything else with legal ASCII characters) and select folder that as the master Copy-All location. Note that the copies will still be organized and stamped by date, only now you'd have something like 'G:User DataSxS Cards201202131200'

Return to posts index

Mike Johnson
on Feb 13, 2012 at 5:18:59 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much for this info. Exactly what I needed to hear.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]