FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transfer MXF-file to PDW-U1 on PC

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timm Jaspert
Transfer MXF-file to PDW-U1 on PC
on Feb 8, 2012 at 4:40:27 pm

Hello everybody.
I am trying to transfer a TV-report back on XDCamHD-disc.
As I still have the Tiger running on my G5 it is not possible to write on the drive out of FC. So I transfered the MXF-file to my PC and installed all the drivers (FAM 2.300, SxS 1.01., Drive Software 3.1.1.5, SxS UDF 1.0.2.6, XDCam Browser 2.0.0)
The drive is recognized and running. I click on the drive and select "import". Then I select the MXF-file. The copying-process starts and is interrupted again. "Reason: You don't have a right to access the file or writing is prohibited for the file."
I formated the disc, I checked the rights of the file and set it to read and write for all persons. I have no idea, whether this is a driver-thing or something between MAC and PC.
Any ideas?
Thank you very much for your time and help!

Timm

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Transfer MXF-file to PDW-U1 on PC
on Feb 8, 2012 at 5:20:54 pm

Hi Timm-

Are you placing the file in the CLIP directory? The other folders are restricted (except for USER DATA and GENERAL but those are for generic data storage).

Ian

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Services

Return to posts index

Timm Jaspert
on Feb 8, 2012 at 6:33:46 pm

Dear Ian.
Thank you very much for the quick response.
The XDCam Browser doesn't show the CLIP-folder. It only shows CLIP-LIST and within this folder it is not possible to import MXF-files. In the internet-explorer the CLIPS-folder is listed. I copied the mxf-file drag and drop and at least the copying-process startet. It stopped after half of the work done with an internal error.
I thought, that maybe it is a PC-Mac-thing and conformed an EX-1-file.mp4 to MXF directly on the PC. Well, it worked fine. The clip was written on the U1 without any problems. Of course, there is the watersign visible, as I don't have the browse-update.
What do you think?
Timm

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Feb 8, 2012 at 7:24:33 pm

That the file originated on a Mac should not make any difference. More than likely there is something wrong with the file, either because it was not rendered out using the right template or because of corrupt data. if it was a file naming issue (most common reason for this kind of thing) the 2nd file would have failed, and the first one would have failed instantly rather than after getting halfway through the process. The only other 'gotcha' I can point to is if the file is 720/50p or 720 60p it must be an even # of frames or the disc will reject it. I would check the original file in XDCAM Transfer and make sure that you see the correct codec and audio info in the INFO area. If you can't get anywhere with it and want to send me a file or some screen grabs let me know..

Return to posts index

Timm Jaspert
on Feb 8, 2012 at 8:21:34 pm

I used the following codec:
Apple XDCam HD422 1080i50 (50Mb/s CBR). That's not working.
I tried Apple XDCam HD 1080i50 (35Mb/s VBR) - that one is working fine.
Please find the Transfer Tool-screenshot attached.

http://f1.creativecow.net/3659/3659'>3659_bild1.png.zip

Thanks again for your help!

Timm

Return to posts index

Timm Jaspert
on Feb 8, 2012 at 8:49:55 pm

I used the following codec:
Apple XDCam HD422 1080i50 (50Mb/s CBR). That's not working.

BUT
XDCAM 1080i50 CBR and XDCAM 1080i50 VBR are working.
Which one do you recommend?

Thanks again for your help!

Timm

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Feb 8, 2012 at 8:59:26 pm

the 50 Mb codecs are 50 Mb CBR, 422. the ones that are tagged simply 'XDCAM HD' are 35 Mb VBR, 420. but both should work on a blank disc (discs have no codec restrictions until after the first file is written)..

Return to posts index

Timm Jaspert
on Feb 8, 2012 at 9:24:41 pm

OK. But that means, that I haven't really solved the problem.
Are the settings of the mxf-file (screen-shot) correct?
Timm

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Feb 8, 2012 at 9:48:54 pm

The settings are correct. The file should have 8 channels of 24 bit audio but the U1 will pad the file with extra channels when you copy to disc. It could have something to do with the fact that you're using a very old version of Transfer (it would have to be if it's running on a G5) and an up-to-the-minute U1 driver. Try the following-- create a sequence and load the appropriate Sequence Preset (XDCAM HD 422 50 1080 50i), drop a 10 second color bars clip on the timeline, Export to XDCAM with the desktop as the destination. Can you or copy this file to the U1 from your windows machine? I'd also run the U1 Utility and check that the firmware on the U1 does not need to be updated.

Return to posts index

Timm Jaspert
on Feb 9, 2012 at 6:05:37 am

Dear Ian.
No. It is not working. The only files that can be written on the U1 are those with XDCam HD 25 or 35 MBit. The 50 Mbit-file is always rejected.
I will copy the MXF-file to the USERDATA-folder and pray, that there will be a new MacPro release in April. A lot of new bought High-Tech-stuff is already standing in my office waiting for a new computer.
Thank you very, very much for the help. If you get a new idea, what might be the reason for that problem - please let me know :-)
Timm

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Feb 9, 2012 at 5:24:12 pm

What firmware version is the drive running (you can check in the drive utility)? Also-- what version of FCP is this? If you want to get in touch offline we can continue, or we can exchange test files..

Return to posts index

Timm Jaspert
on Feb 9, 2012 at 7:02:20 pm

Hi Ian.
Firmware is version 2.450. Final Cut is 6.0.6
Of course I am interested to find a solution. I still have the color-bars-testfile. It is 65 MB.
Timm

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Feb 9, 2012 at 7:07:09 pm

When you have a moment email me at ian dot cook at am dot sony dot com . I'll give you an FTP location we can use to exchange files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]