FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ex1 live event shot 60hrz shutter speed,

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Walter Stabb
Ex1 live event shot 60hrz shutter speed,
on Jan 31, 2012 at 12:32:16 am

Desperately need advice. Have some Ex1 footage of a live event 1920x1080 25fps. But it was shot with the shutter speed at 60hrz in error. It now plays in final cut pro weirdly sped up. Is this possible to fix.

Return to posts index

Stephen May
Re: Ex1 live event shot 60hrz shutter speed,
on Feb 3, 2012 at 2:56:01 pm

Walter - I think you mean that you had your shutter at 1/60, right? That's not bad, and should make it look sharp; usually I set my shutter at twice my frame rate - but also it sounds like you are shooting in PAL instead of NTSC, and again, nothing wrong with that. I think you should make sure your sequence settings match your clip: PAL 25fps - shutter doesn't matter. Let us know how that looks after you confirm the sequence settings match the clip settings.

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

Walter Stabb
on Feb 5, 2012 at 10:34:58 am

Hi Stephen,

thanks for your response. You are correct, I was shooting PAL 25p and I had done as you suggested, and as you say the image actually looked nice and sharp and wasn't a big problem. The shutter speed during shooting was set to 60htz rather than 1/60, it is a setting on the camera that is to help shooting images being played back on TV's in the USA I think, perhaps setting it to 60hrtz actually does the same thing as setting it to 1/60? It definitely was a higher shutter speed than the 1/50 I normally go with and also to the eye looked faster than 1/60.
Everything worked out well though.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Stephen May
on Feb 11, 2012 at 4:54:46 pm

Walter- I think the 60Hz setting is for shooting displays - gets rid of the roll/flicker when pointing the camera at a CRT monitor. It is not the same as setting the shutter to 1/60 of a second. Notice when you employe the shutter (say at 1/60, but even if you shoose 1/50 which is ideal for PAL because it's twice the frame rate) you will lose a little light; the LCD display will show that you lose a few stops of light. So although the shutter can increase sharpness, useful in sports or action shots that have fast moving objects, the "penalty" is light.

When you employe the 60Hz setting you will not lose light - at least not as much, so considering this kind of info, if you are shooting say a interview - talking head, turning off your shutter will get you some additional light without increasing gain. If you're shooting XDCAM in daylight or outside bright sun, shutter can help stop down the light, give you a sharper look, and allow you to not have to close your iris as much as you would have had to without using the shutter. I think it's two seperate things. Hope I'm not misleading you here. -Stephen

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]