FORUMS: list search recent posts

Overcrank or 50p for slo mo

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter crawford
Overcrank or 50p for slo mo
on Jan 17, 2012 at 3:41:34 am

Hi guys,
Im shooting a music vid which features a boxing flight where ill need to shoot lots of slo mo,s of faces being punched etc. So some shots will have to be slowed considerably.

I havent decided yet whether to shoot on ex3/ 7d or both but for the purposes of this thread myquestions relate to the ex3

Firstly i understand the best way is to shoot 720p 50p then conform to 25p in something like cine tools for fcp but this doesnt seem slow enough for the type of close up sl mo im picturing.

1/ with this method going from 50fps to 25 am i restricted to 50 percent speed or can i make it slower?

Ipresume if i can slow it down in fcp more which would recreate frames i think, is this the way to go??

Secondly, does the 180 deg shutter rule still apply here ( 50p @ 1/100 or should i be aiming for really fast shutter speeds so each frame is crisp for the slo mo process?

Thirdly, all the above considered is overcranking a better option in camera? I understand you get better results but 50percent speed still doesnt seem thet slow.

Any advice much appreciated

Peter

paxpincer

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Overcrank or 50p for slo mo
on Jan 17, 2012 at 4:11:15 am

I would shoot 720/60p for the added frames, music videos never need to be perfectly in sync

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

peter crawford
on Jan 17, 2012 at 7:15:21 am

Thanks michael, yeh i guess im so used to thinking and shooting in 50 all the time due to living in pal land, but like you said i guess it doesnt make a difference aside from gaining extra frames to slow down with.

So youd use 60p with a 120 shutter?

What do you think about over cranking in camera?

Pete

paxpincer

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Jan 17, 2012 at 7:45:41 am

If you go with 720p60 - once you have your 50% slomo you can slow it down a touch more in your editing application before you really start to loose resolution.. I'd say an extra 10-15% at best. To push it further take a look at something like Twixtor.

As far as shutter - it depends on the look you are after. Do some tests and find the look that suites you best. A starting point might be something like a 180deg in relation to your intended playback speed IE: 100 for 50%, 500 for 10%...

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

peter crawford
on Jan 17, 2012 at 8:02:54 am

Deleted

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Jan 28, 2012 at 4:10:39 pm

I believe if you shoot 720P60 you can conform it to 24 fps. This is basically slowing it down to 40%. In the limited testing I've done, I could not tell the difference between slowing it to 40% or conforming to 24fps. I guess your choice depends on what the frame rate is of your final project.

Either way, going from 60P/40% you will get great results. No new frames need to be generated.

In terms of shutter speed, again in my limited testing I found 2x shutter to provide pretty good results. I was capturing a sporting event, at night under lights. So, I was also more limited in shutter options. It also depends on whether you're just going to slow it all down, or whether you will need to use some of the clips played back at real time. High shutter real time playback gets that Saving Private Ryan type of a strobe effect.

You can also try Twixtor. I worked with it for a while, but the material I had seemed to be too much of a challenge. A sporting event where you have fast moving action heading one way across the screen with the background moving at a different speed and then more fast action moving in the opposite direction. All this fast, opposing direction movement seemed to be too confusing for Twixtor. (or the Twixtor user, me) I also tried After Effects, Motion and FCP X optical flow as well. Similar results to Twixtor. I would wind up with some unwanted morphing when things got real complicated. But, if your material is not moving fast, then you might find optical flow to work well for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]